Why do you like Bush?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jayb2000, Jul 22, 2004.

1. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

I am not trying to start a flame war, an anti (or pro) kerry thread or anything else like that.
    I would simply like people who support Bush to explain why they do.
    And again, I am not looking for "I like Bush, because Kerry sucks!" or such. More in depth answers would be appreciated.
    Tax issues, Abortion, etc. Whatever you are voting for him come November.

Thanks.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like him because his policies fuel my anger. and anger = art.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I like his national do-not-call list.

Of course, I'm not a single-issue voter and if I were telemarketers wouldn't be the issue.

So I will not be voting for Bush in November (contain your surprise, folks).

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I like Bush for the following reasons:

His policies and actions as President have had such an effect here at home and abroad that it has served as a wake-up call to many. Previously unaligned or apathetic people have taken notice because of the seriousness of the actions being taken by GW, and the perceived direction this country is headed in and made efforts to effect change.

Most of all though, this has all forced the world to take a good look at the potential danger or recklessness of America, to see it for what it actually is, not what they'd hope it would be.

And for Americans, this has forced us to look in the collective mirror and see ourselves for who we really are, even if the site is grotesque...

Bush is a catalyst for the long-needed re-assessment of our values and priorities as a Nation and as individuals, and a re-alignment of how we'd like to see ourselves (and be seen) and the considerably uglier reality...

5. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I was going to say I like him because his administration has been an eye opener for many (including myself), who had never really been interested in politics. Bush has angered so many, that we now have no choice but to get involved and take action.

I believe blackfox did a better job summing up what I had to say. :D

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

7. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I wouldn't expect you to with an avatar like yours. ;)

I'm voting for Bush because I'm conservative and a Republican. Also, he is pro-life and appoints conservative judges. Some of the things he has done I don't agree with like the no child left behind act because it didn't work too well. Also I'm not a big fan of the Patriot Act.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hey!
    So succintness is not my strongpoint...so sue me (while you still can)...

vwc, you did a fine job elucidating your point...

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because he's given Jon Stewart so very much good material.

10. usmcdiorio macrumors newbie

usmcdiorio

I like Bush for the following reasons:

1. He is man who stands for what he believes in, nothing more nothing less. He has faced difficulties yet remained firm in his beliefs.

2. I generally support his policies, including his foreign policy, and his tax cuts. Just today Alan Greenspan said that Bush's three major tax cuts helped the country avoid a severe recession. I also go along with the conservative belief that I know how to spend my money better than the government. I don't support everything the President does. The pursuit of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage is a bit over the top, but I think no matter how hard he tries, it will always fail in the senate anyway. I am pro-choice, to a point. Partial birth abortion is undeniably murdering a living baby, and I would never support something so atrocious.

3. War in Iraq. Can relate to number one. I believe Bush received faulty intelligence, and the case for invading Iraq was made very strongly. The Iraq fervor was prevalent among many democrats as well including John Edwards who at the time placed Iraq, and Sadaam Hussein among the top threats to the U.S.. Regardless of the state of the war, Bush has not faltered, and I believe is a President who has the courage to finish Iraq correctly, not leave it like Vietnam and call it a victory. By the way, Iraq is not Vietnam, has never been Vietnam, nor will it ever be Vietnam.

4. Education. Regarding vouchers. Vouchers would give students living in poor neighborhoods with poor schools a choice. I do not see why so many Democrats are so fervently against them. And as much as I hated taking them, standardized tests are a kind of accountability, and accountability of some sort should be required.

5. Now the campaign trail. So far, from the commercials I've learned that John Kerry was in Vietnam. John Kerry was wounded in Vietnam. John Kerry has people that were in Vietnam with him that support him. That's great, it really is. I appreciate that John Kerry is a veteran of the armed services, but that tells me nothing of his ability to be president. Now I'll admit I haven't seen many Bush commercials, but what I have seen focuses on the issues.

6. The undeniable fact is John Kerry is not a man that even most democrats wanted or want now to be president of the united states. He has an appalling voting record in the senate to say the least, and has taken both sides of too many issues to count. Even among democrats he is considered ultra-liberal and out of touch with mainstream America. You can bet the Clintons don't want him. Hillary is almost definitely running in 2008, unless kerry gets elected.

Well that's enough for now, I hope I gave you a view of why conservatives like Bush, and sorry if I brought Kerry into it too much. If you have any questions on different issues, just ask. :)

11. jayb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Details?

OK, pro-life I can understand, but what do you mean by conservative?
    That used to mean smaller government and balanced budgets (i.e the Gingrich Contract with America), but Bush has not done either of those.
    Not trying to put down Bush, just curious how you define conservative.

If you voted, did you vote for McCain or Bush in the primaries?

12. romerom macrumors newbie

how about your voting for bush because your uninformed. how about your voting for bush because your blind to the real issues. how about your voting for bush because you LIKE putting our soldiers in harms way. how about that?

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Now, Now...let's be civil shall we?

ILMI's post was fair and reasoned, even If I don't agree with his values or the fact that he may be overlooking some major problems with Bush not related to Partisanship, I am glad to hear his/her opinion.

You come very close to a personal attack here, and that is a forum no-no.
    I can understand if you are angry/frustrated with Bush...many of us here are...but do not take it out on someone voiceing a legitimate opinion. Explain your position on the matter, not a polemic and reactionary rhetorical critique of his.

Thankyou in advance...

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think he was referring to liking Bush, not to your post.

I wouldn't in a million years vote for Bush, but I like the fact that he is vocally in support of an independent Palestinian state. I think that's an enormous step on the part of an American President. There's little else that I can say about him. I don't think he has good judgment or integrity.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Talk about a left-handed compliment... ;)

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

blackfox, I wasn't referring to your post. Sorry, for any confusion.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

No worrys, I am often easily confused...except when it comes to something as relating to the topic of this thread...then I am the epitome of clarity...

18. m.r.m. macrumors regular

well, there haven´t been too many pro-bush opinions voiced. :rolleyes:

i actually wonder why it is that so many audibly voice their dissent, but kerry still seems unable to move past bush in the polls. one find so many pro kerry anti bush sigs on all kinds of fora, so many blogs and threads, but nonetheless bush is rock solid betwenn 42-50% (if such a thing can be considered rock solid, but point is kerry isn´t doing better). i certainly hope, bush doesn´t get re-elected, but i suspect osam bin laden will "surprisingly" be captured shortly before the election and bush will ride out the following patriotic wave.

19. usmcdiorio macrumors newbie

usmcdiorio

You actually could be more right than you think. It's my theory that the Bush administration will come out with something major, either the capture of Osama bin laden or the discovery of WMD's, right before the election. Something of the scale of Osama bin Laden would almost definitley push the undecided voters over into the Republican camp. I can't say I would be disappointed if this happened, both for the reason that we made a signifigant advancement in the war on terror, and two, I want to see W reelected. I would hope citizens from both parties would at least be happy for reason one. Democrats obviously wouldn't like reason two.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Which "better places"? On what evidence? Please explain this seemingly faith-based statement to those of us who haven't the faintest idea of his second term proposals.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You realize you're talking about the guy who only enacted the DoHS after Rove realized Bush was getting hammered in the polls. Also that Bush is the guy who opposed the 9/11 commission initially but then flip-flopped when he was taking too much flak from the public (ie. polls). Please don't give us this line of crap. Both candidates rely on polls to 'triangulate' their positions. To say otherwise is totally wrong. Bush has no moral high ground in this area, which is why I feel the public MUST lie to every pollster they meet.

Do you honestly think the Bush camp doesn't look at poll numbers and plan strategy accordingly?

Well, if you think Syria and Iran are better places... ;)

You're entitled to your opinion here, but I don't see Bush doing any great things, and I thought we had agreed that presidents have little to do with the cyclical nature of the economy. At least that's what I was hearing from the right during the Clinton boom years, and the Bush recession years. But hey, I'm not surprised Bush would try to take credit for it. Clinton did the same. It's the blame they try to avoid.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

frankly, i'm a little surprised you believe that.

23. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Wow! The Bush administration distorted the facts, and repeated lies to convince the public that we needed to go to war with Iraq. He did that to get the popular opinion, and once he did, he went to war. Seriously, the percent of people approving a war with Iraq went from almost nothing to the majority of Americans over the course of a few months of blatant propaganda spitting from the mouths of the RNC, and repeated over and over and over by the media. This is a president like all politicians in the regard they lead by what is most likely to get them reelected.

--Waluigi

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i firmly believe that was one of the reasons for the invasion.

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

ROFL... I'm much more into politics since he was appointed! I protested his appointment for well over a year (maybe 2!) by keeping the Gore/Lieberman bumper stickers on my car!