Why do you love mac/OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sic, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

i guess this is the most appropriate forum to post this in, but it's something that i've been musing over on a slow morning at work :)

i half-converted to OSX out of sheer morbid curiosity last june when i tried a mate's powerbook 12" and i wanted to immerse myself a little further in the world of mac! so i bought myself a 12" powerbook to run alongisde my PC desktop and i absolutely loved it. so much so that about 3 months later, i ditched my PC and replaced it with a 15" powerbook in november.

since then i've spent pretty much everyday going around the net at work looking for arbitrary apps to improve/change the way i use my mac. not for any reason, just because. from doing this, i have become in better control of my money (thanks to checkbook), better control of my obligations (thanks to iCal), my memory has improved (not really, but subsequent actions of things i've been asked/told have been more effective thanks to MacJournal).

i have also come to realise that i do, indeed, love the way OSX looks. and i've been called shallow for this. but dont you all feel better when you switch on your monitor/open your lid and you're greeted with a smooth, good-looking UI, which you've customised right down to the icons? (of which there are literally thousands (my pixadex = 1288 icons alone!)) i know i do. i'm, by no stretch of the imagination, saying that OSX has made me happy, or more optimistic, but if you had the choice between working in an attractive environment or an unattractive one, it's a bit of a no-brainer really!

obviously, any replies to this thread won't be this long-winded/ethereal, but im just curious as to why you use/love mac. unless you only use it because it matches your shoes/shirt/wallet/car/tie/ipod. then i dont want to know :p;)

2. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

All your arguments are valid.

I like OS X because it is simply the best supported and developed *nix environment there is.

It stabilty from tight software and hardware whole package integration

Mainly I like its neatness if you install something and realise that it was a gastly mistake you can send all traces of it to hades easily. None if the DLL registry nightmare of Windows and the total inconsistant mess that is Linux install and uninstall.

END OF

3. sintaxi macrumors member

it works as it should. nothing more. it just works.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Ditto :D
    'nuff said.....

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I like to run back and forth across the dock with magnification on...

but that's not why I bought it.

I had three windows computers crash out within probably 2 years time and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I can deal with the harder time finding software, that doesn't bother me. Security and stability. mmm.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I love Mac/OSX because it lets me waste more time on MR :D

7. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

*nix underneath! The only reason I switched to a Mac. (Sorry guys, OS9 was terribly ugly, and the window management was worse).

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have had only 3 kernel panics in about 2-3 years on OS X, all do to bad logic board on G3 iBook

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

agree :cool:

i find it helps me free up alot of creative time to do stuff on the Mac , if i was still on Windows i would spend the most of my time reformating the hdd installing Windows and then installing all the updates a virus checker and firewall.

Then after all that i might be able to get solitare working ;)

measure the time wasted:

install of Win XP Pro- 25-50 min
    install of Mac OS X - 15-20 min
    install of virus software(win) - 10 min ( including reboots )
    install of virus software (mac)- 0 ( not needed , Yet )
    install of drivers for additional hardware(win) - well take a ticket cos you could be here a while
    install of drivers for additional hardware(mac) - well errr it just sort of works with maybe a software install

i could go on and on and on

thats why i love Mac OS X

10. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Why do I love OSX?

1. Exposé
    2. Dashboard & Widgets
    3. BSD underbelly (but without the hassle of having to configure every little script file just to get the OS and GUI working)
    4. Incredible stability and speed
    5. Polished and sophisticated look
    6. Secure
    7. Compatible with other operating systems and software
    8. Not Windows (plays tribute to the illusion of being unique among computer users - a feeding of the ego)
    9. Intuitive

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

+1

I love the fact that the geek in me can really get my hands dirty using Terminal, various *nix apps, and other work related software, while my wife - an average user - can use it without handholding...

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, I don't have the priviledge of using OSX as my main system (or any other), but I'll go with my list:

1) Seamless integration of hardware and software: as has been said, it just works. This includes peripherals such as HD's, flash drives, printers, etc. It also includes the iTunes/iPod integration. I use to

2) I love the innovation that I see from the company: Expose especially, but also the sleek, sexy look of the hardware (the MBP/PB).

3) No viruses/no spyware. I don't have a problem with that on my windows machine, but it's nice to know that the risk on OSX is (virtually) non-existent (a virus could come out, but there aren't any currently... I know... just leave me alone).

4) I like that it's different. I like using something that few others have. I want to learn something new, and better than what everyone else uses (windows + beige box). I bought an iPod before they really took off. It's kinda shallow and I would really like a 5th generation Video iPod, but there's something pretty cool about being the first one to have something. Now everyone has them and they look at mine, but I can always say that I've had my iPod for years, before it became trendy to own one.

13. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

14. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Everything about Apple/Mac/Mac OS X is just simple. beautiful, and it just works flawlessly. I had a PC before my first Mac that I had to reformat 3 times in the same week. I was sick of it. Good-bye Windows.

15. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

One Thing - Maybe Two

1. The stationary menu bar.
    2. Steve Jobs in a tight pair of jeans!

16. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Why do I like OS X? Simply...

Very secure and stable
    No viruses or spyware
    Hardly any maintenance required
    Excellent user interface
    Floating windows = how it's meant to be
    Very useful and fun features (i.e. Spotlight)
    Tight integration between apps (especially iLife)
    Expose (falls into fun features, but deserves its own spot)
    Responsiveness
    And finally... "it just works!" :)

17. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

I Love...
    The ability to install and delete stuff (by dragging into the trash no less) without having it potentially eff up the operating system.

Plugging in peripherals and they work, immediately.

Getting instant tech credibility just by being someone that is able to use the os that everyone has "heard it's hard to use"

Simply closing the (rare) pop ups that warn "your pc may be compromised" or "download this to check for spyware, trojan, virus threats, etc.", without giving it a second thought. :cool: