Why Do You Need Service Pack 2...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by toxicbomber, Jun 19, 2006.

1. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

Please explain. I am curious as I don't think I can afford $200.00 after I just got my iMac. :p

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Do you have pre-SP2 XP? Just slipstream SP2 into it. No need to buy another copy of Windows if you don't need to.

3. toxicbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uh.. I'm not sure. This has SP1 on it... what is slipstream?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm sure you could find that via Google..

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Copying the contents of the disk and merging it with the latest updates. It's perfectly legal, in case you're wondering.

I did it like this - I have a pre-SP1 copy of XP but didn't have a working Windows PC. Things I did in Windows are in BOLD

1. Downloaded the trial version of Parallels (I later bought this) and installed XP on a Parallels VM, with no networking, for safety. And I didn't activate it.
    2. Downloaded the SP2 standalone updater from Microsofts website, to my Mac.
    3. Downloaded nliteos from www.nliteos.com.
    4. Moved these over to the Parallels VM via a USB key.
    5. Inserted WinXP install disk and copied it to the Windows VM.
    6. Ran nliteos and followed its instructions to create a bootable ISO.

7. Copied this over to the Mac.
    8. Burned the bootable ISO using disk utility. This could be used to install for dual booting (I didn't though, I don't need to dual boot into Windows)

6. Timepass macrumors 65816

The only other reason I could see him not wanting to do it is if the copy not legit but I believe M$ even updates those to SP2 to prevent drones from being on the web.

You dont have to slipstream it. it just makes is easier. If you dont I would recomend downloading it and burning it to disk before hand. You can take a preSP1 copy of XP install it and update to XP sp2. The SP are free updates from M$

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You do if you have a pre-SP2 disk and want to install it using Boot Camp.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

To answer the OP's post you need SP2 because SP1 does not include USB 2.0 and other low-level drivers from Intel so it would be impossible to install Windows..

Basically..There are other updates that are important too.

9. x86 macrumors regular

x86

I had an old disk lying around that had Windows XP on it and I wasn't sure if it was SP2 or not. After I installed it I found that it was SP1, not SP2. The drivers that Apple provides would not install, and everytime I attempted to install SP2, it would tell me I was out of disk space (which I wasn't). So you can installe Windows XP SP1, but it doesn't run right...

10. shawsinio macrumors regular

you dont need to spend $200, you could always get an OEM copy of windows with service pack 2, google it. i dont know how much it would cost in the states, but i know i could get one for around £50 in England, about $80-90, although it would actually probably be cheaper in the US...

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's because the intel Macs use SATA drives. Anything prior to SP2 required a floppy disk to load the factory drivers for the SATA drive before you can install. SP2 CDs include a generic SATA driver so it can install to SATA drives w/o the need for a floppy disk.

12. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Kind of off topic, but I recently installed SP1 on my Dell machine (after reformatting the drive to clean it up) and I got a virus before I could even go to the site to download my virus protection. By the time I had everything set and ran a scan I had 3 different spyware programs! This was after only 15 minutes and not doing anything to cause it.

Basically, besides the technical reasons listed here, you wouldn't want sp1 anyways. sp2 had a ton of security updates that if you didn't have would render your computer useless.

13. B-Line macrumors newbie

I also have a SP1 disc that came with my old computer that I no longer use. I pre-ordered a copy of parallels during the beta period and have installed my copy of windows xp home. However I was not able to update my copy of windows because microsoft's update website deemed that my copy of windows was not authenic:confused: . I know that my copy is authenic because my CD has all the correct holograms and marking and worked without issue on my PC. However I was able to download the SP2 file from their website ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en ). I installed SP2 and was subsequently able to recieve all the regular updates without issue using parallels.

I have been using the final version of parallels since the day it was released. I really like it and have been able to use both my samsung printer and usb memory stick with the software. I highly recommend it:)

14. Timepass macrumors 65816

Your copy of windows is an OEM copy. There for it can not move from one computer to another. it is tided to a computer not a owner. So M$ is right in what they are telling you. it is not an athozided copy on you mac. it only good on the computer it was orginally installed on because it is an OEM verson of XP.

15. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

Slipstreaming solved all my problems as I'm typing from windows right now :p

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sorry, but using Windows is just the start of your problems.