Why do you post on message boards?

Discussion in 'Community' started by springscansing, Feb 28, 2003.

1. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

It's a big waste of time dontcha know. Speaking to a bunch of handles and nicknames whom the only thing you know of them is their signature.

I mean I do it, but why? You only live once, limited amount of time. Is this really how your want to be spending it? Waiting for some company, who in all reality is just out for a good buck, to put a nicer chip in their computers so you can check your email 20% faster?

Not only do you spend time waiting for something so silly, but you even spend time to talk about waiting for it.

Plus, how many posts have you posted that had no reason for their posting whatsoever?

I bet some of you have a year of your life, if not more, wasted on message boards. How pathetic is that? You could be doing virtually anything else, and have it be more worthwhile. Art, music, sex, reordering your sock drawer, virtually anything is better than this in all practicality considering life's time limit.

Why do you do it? Why do you post on message boards?

2. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

*post removed because i'm a douche bag who can't control himself at 2AM after too much movie viewing*

3. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Bah, I really shouldn't watch movies. They wreck havoc on my mind. I turn into some kind of emotionally-bound zombie or something. It's terrible.

Snatch is one hell of a film though. If you haven't seen it... go see it. Much more worthwhile than message boards.

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Damn you respond fast.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Also very observant.[​IMG]

7. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i don't understand. this is nothing but a boatload of hypocrisy. first you ask what's the point of posting here, and then you come here and do it, on the same bloody thread where you questioned the value of doing so.

what's the point? education, maybe. a good time, maybe. the irony of this is that you wax existential, and then you suggest an alternate such as trashing your mind with films. what's the point of that?

oh, sh*t, better go exercise and live life to the fullest. damn, you haven't read dostoevsky? you better, you've only got a few more years! don't forget Joyce, Heller, Dickens, Solzhenitsyn, Emerson, Thoureau, Dickinson, Orwell, Huxley, Shakespeare, Milton, Homer, Mallory, Rousseau, Jefferson, Voltaire, Hobbes, Locke, Twain, Plato, Aristotle, Kierkegaard, Sartre, Luther, Calvin, Augustine, Aquinas, on, on, on, on, on, on, on....
    don't forget all that music that's better than macrumors.
    oh, damn, you'd better learn to play an instrument too. hell, why not play them all?
    Sports. what? don't have an olympic gold medal? man, you're a f*cking loser!

i dunno. when you start to get insights on the meaning of life, i suggest you not jump on your soapbox till you have things worked out a little better. there's no construction to this whatsoever. there are also a hell of a lot of things you've demanded we take a priori, such as the notion that one way of life is inherently better than another. you're ranting about it, but you didn't say anything at all about the meaning of life. are we all going to hell in a handbasket? if so, does it matter that we post here? is the chief end of man heroism? if so, who are you to lecture us? is a balance of things the ultimate goal in life? if so, how can you extrapolate that we don't live balanced lives, seeing as all you know about us is in our sigs?

lol.

[edit] sorry, i started writing this when i had seen you blow up at vniow, which annoyed me. i'm too lazy to go back and make the tone friendlier because i realize you are sorry, and the philosophical main if the post stands, so i'm going to leave it as is. sorry if it has some offensive stuff in it. [/edit]

9. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

That post was idiotic. I admitted right off the bat I'm in the same boat with you people.

Don't take it so personally. Jeez.

10. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Eh.. fantastic. I'm gone!

No more posts from me. Sweet.

I think my system is to discredit myself so much and make such an ass out of myself, that I am forced to leave. Why I can't just stop posting I don't know. Stupid maybe?

Down to 2 mailing lists, 1 message board, and 1 game of email Diplomacy. Yay!

11. losfp macrumors regular

Well, it's 6:30pm here :) just bought a new house so we have to clear that up, I have a DVD playing in the background, while looking up other stuff. So in short, yeah I have hobbies. In fact, that's WHY I'm on messageboards all the time. I like computers, TVs, DVDs, music, movies, I follow about 6 sporting teams. I want to know more about them so I go on boards. Mostly I read. Sometimes I post when I need help, or when I can help. Without the boards, I doubt I'd know as much as I do, or known as many decent people who share the same interests as I do.

So there you go :)

Oh, by the way, Snatch IS great :D

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the point is, you haven't expressed any core values, so how can we possibly suggest a point? you could start a macrumors religion that worshiped the highest posters, and then there would be a heck of a point to the place. so what's your value system? modern societal ones? PBS's?

here's some more food for thought:

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's very addictive, I admit. I do enjoy the opportunity to share and listen to the view points of others!

14. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Re: Why do you post on message boards?

[​IMG]

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All i can say is WOW did you stir shadowfax! Its kind of fun, i like the mac talk and the insights on mac use, and whats to come from mac since they wont tell us, and politics and on rainy days why not? by the way its been raining here almost all day.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It isn't like we aren't learning things about ourselves, others, and
    anything discussed here. I post on these boards because I enjoy
    it. It is pretty much that simple.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is the whole point to enjoy life! ;)

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol. yeah. it was a dead effort too. i don't even know that i made a whole lot of sense. it was like 3:00 AM though. everything kinda muddles together. that's the first flame i've done in months, it seems.

19. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

what's sf?

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

He should refer to your proper name Shadowfax! ;)

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

oh, right. he has some good experiences with me ;)

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that are of the proper nature! ;)

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I meant, with me "flying off the handle"--at him, several times:rolleyes: