Why does 30" ACD require dual link DVI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by princealfie, Apr 4, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I was looking at the specs for the 30" ACD and it mentions needing dual-link DVI to run it. What's the main reason for that? I guess that my TiBook can't run it eh? :(

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Because its so freakin large it has to be written to as if it were two 'normal' monitors

3. vniow macrumors G4

Because single link can't handle the resolution that's needed for it?

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Can I use it at a lower resolution with a single link DVI then?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The bandwidth that a single link has means that the maximum resolution for a single link DVI connection is 1900x1200. So for larger resolutions (link a 30") you need a dual link connection. Note that this does not mean that there are twice as many pins, two cables or that one link carries the top half of the screen and the other the bottom. There are two TDMS transceivers at both ends and they send at the same time, but out of sequence so as they don't interfere. So the top of the screen gets sent by both links at the same time resulting in twice the bandwidth

6. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hmm... I guess that I probably shouldn't save up for the 30" then. Dang. I only have single-link DVI cards here :(

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not sure about the Apple screen but there have been reports of the Dell and HP screens refusing to work at all unless fed a dual link signal, probably because it's cheaper to build them without the logic required to ignore one TDMS transceiver to run in single link mode. I'd imagine the Apple display works the same way.

And really if you are going to run it at single-link resolutions you'd be better off buying a 24" screen if you are sitting close to it as the low resolution on the 30" will look terrible, or a 30" LCD TV (1080p) if you are sitting further away as it's cheaper.

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It will work -- at 1280x800. Which is so craptacularly low, it would be like buying a Ferrari and never taking it over 30 MPH. Your best bet is a 23" or 24" screen -- anything that's 1900x1200.

9. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

If you want a 30" (or larger!) screen running at a lower resolution, you could get an LDC TV.

10. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

But the problem is that LCD TV's look horrible compared to the 30" ACD in terms of that shiny silver look. :(

11. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

A can of spray paint could fix all that in a sec.