Why does anyone buy from an official Apple store?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by friendlyghost, May 31, 2003.

1. friendlyghost macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    Why does anyone buy from an official Apple store when you have to pay tax and they usually don't throw in many extras? It looks like if you order from many online retailers, you get free stuff like an airport card and can also get around tax.

I'm approaching my first mac purchase, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to make my purchase?
  2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like to buy from retail stores because it offers an easy way to return the equipment if needed without incuring shipping charges or restocking fees (most of the time).

This has saved my arse a few times... *coughcough*motherboard!*coughcough*. :D

In the case of buying Macs, I have to say that you can get some great deals if you buy from online retailers. If you find a good deal go for it. Personally, I like to buy locally (bought my iBook at an Apple Reseller [actually the first Apple reseller in So. Cal]), but that's just me.
  3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    A lot of 3rd party resellers don't let you customize your purchase. I live in Oregon so tax isn't a consideration. Also as a student I get the student discount. The Apple stores at the local schools are poorly stocked and you have to wait on there orders for your item to come in. It's just simpler for me to order directly from Apple. Though our next purchase probably will not be directly from Apple as there are some pretty hot deals and the local schools right now.
  4. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2002
    If ClubMac were still in SoCal, I wouldn't even bother with an Apple branded store. I always got better deals there than I could with Apple Direct and was close enough that I could pick up anything from them at their will call desk the day I ordered it.

They've since moved their warehouse and I find I'm at the Apple Store more often than I'd like to be. And for all its convenience, I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of their customer service and return policy.

And as the reseller network dwindles away, I'm afraid it'll only get worse.
  5. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    I'm planning to buy an iBook from online retailers too but I'll surely buy my new iPod from an Apple Store.. What can a online store give as an extra for a iPod other than sales tax??
  6. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Re: Why does anyone buy from an official Apple store?

three words: adc hardware discount. :p :)
    most of the retail stores are cool though...and it's nice to stop by the genius bar once in a while...so i like going to the apple retail stores.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I would say many of the Apple Store purchases are made by people who are unaware of the many catalog/internet retailers and discounts/freebies they provide. Newbies, switchers, etc. Customizers. Students (order at the store, online) and ADC discounts. Or people that want to get their hands on the actual machines and don't trust online purchasing. And don't want to go to CompUSA.

People still shop at places like CompUSA when places like Newegg.com are so much better.

So to answer your question, lots of people.
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Re: Why does anyone buy from an official Apple store?

In reality there are few places that really allow you to get away with not paying use taxes, it's just that a lot of people are scumbags :p ;) and don't pay the use tax their home state requires you to pay when you don't end up paying taxes on your purchases.

Don't worry places like California are cross referencing credit card purchases with mail order companies -- and some day the mortgage on your morals will come due.

:p :p ;) ;) :p :p

Remember the big tax fraud cases in the news over the past couple years that brought down several high-flying bigwigs in NY. They were for messing around with the taxes on product purchases.
  9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    When my iBook came out nov 6 2002 I ordered from apple that morning and got it the following monday. It was worth going thru them because I knew (hoped) they would be the first to ship out my iBook. That weekend I went to the compusa (saturday so four days after release) and they still had the old models at old prives on the selves so I wasn't too concerened with that plus I had been waiting two months already i didn't want to wait longer for a reseller to get them in stock,
  10. gMac macrumors member

Apr 1, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I bought my new 15GB iPod from Best Buy (for the same price as the Apple Strore $399) because they offer a four year service plan for $40.00 that even covers "normal wear and tear." I purchased it on 5/3 and it turned out to be defective. I returned it to them on 5/27 and got a new one with no hassel at all. From what I've read on the forums, it would have been a very different story if I had purchased it directly from Apple. This is sad, because I would really love to support Apple directly even if I had to pay a bit more, but I am not going to sacrifice customer support to do so.
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    It all depends on what you have to buy and your need.

I lost a power adapter for my PowerBook - and a short trip to my local store and it was sitting there right on the shelf. And even with tax it was pretty much the same price I would have to pay online once you figure in shipping.

And I got it that day.

As for a computer? Well, you can get deals there - I got a dual 1.25 GHz machine a couple weeks after the 1.42s came out. This one was in the back and was discounted cause it was the top end a couple weeks earlier. It had a totally different configuration from the new 1.25s (level 3 cache) and was cheaper. No brainer there.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Actually, from what i've heard, Apple replaces iPods at the drop of the hat. At least they used to-- You could send it in for something tiny, like the Hold switch fell off, and they'd just send you a new one rather than try and repair it...

Maybe that's changed in the past few months tho...