Why does Apple Hate Me!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Sep 12, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Ughh, 3 iPods broken.

PowerBook Logic Board Broken.

Back side of shipping label has the wrong serial number of my powerbook and the "problem description" says its a "backlight problem" when it is actually a sleep light problem.

This is absurd.

Someone reassure me that buying a nano was a good choice....
  2. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Man, Eric, you're luck with Apple gear is as bad as my luck used to be with Palm products. Persevere, though. Apple makes too much good stuff for you to keep getting lemons. And that nano has no hard drive to break, right?
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    You are seriously unlucky. That sucks EJBasile. :(
  4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    hmmm.... maybe you should invest in Apple Care for the Nano. I'm sorry for you bad experience with Apple... its sounds horrible. The worst experience that Ive had with Apple is their headphones... I've gone through 2 iPod headphones and 1 in-ear headphones. but its not the same as iPods and a PB... just please dont go Dell. please!
  5. Bote macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2005
    Philadelphia PA
    Sorry about your luck. I am new to mac so I am praying that I don't inherit similar issues. I just wanted to comment real quick that W Parietti22 is so right about dell. Their new stuff is such crap. My group at work does software support for a few thousand newer dells. GX150-GX280. They are such crap that I spend more time helping out the hardware group by replacing mobos, harddrives, and power supplies. Their old stuff is awsome however. I have a real old Dell G1(pent II) That POS just won't die. You can borrow that until your PB is fixed :)

How is the nano performing so far. I am planning on getting one this weekend....
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I rarely recommend that people abandon Apple products, but when the company is bound and determined, personally out to get you, perhaps it is warranted. :(
  7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I called applecare, was put on hold for over 30min.

Talked to a lady that was barely audible over the phone.

Asked her to hang up and call me back.

Never happened after waiting 15 min. Oh wait, look at the time- 9:17. Guess she didn't want to work overtime.

Yea, maybe I should switch back to PCs...
  8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I was actually thinking that we should start a pool on how long it takes for yours to break. :D
  9. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004

When ever I buy a product after my 2nd iPod my friends try to guess how long it will be until it lasts.
  10. yenko macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2005
    :( Know what you mean!......I never could afford a NEW Mac, so I would always buy used ones, or get old Macs from friends until recently. Never had a bad one. They all worked fine; some had parts missing, like cover, screws, AC cord, all minor stuff.

Long story short: I finally bought a NEW iMac G5....soooooo happy.....until the dreaded dead pixel thing came up only two weeks into owning it.

I called Apple, explained the situation to them. At first they were a bit reluctant to exchange the screen, but after persistant persuasion, they "FedExe'd" a replacement to me the next day. (Yes their phone support seems like it takes forever: Hang in there.) I installed it (all of 20 minutes worth) and shipped the old part back the same day.

So far, no problems.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Liked the iMac G5 so much, I bought a 12" PowerBook................dead pixels......same story. Took three days for Apple to repair and ship back to me. Very happy with the service but not the balking tech reps you have to talk to on the phone. They do require heavy persuasion !! :D
  11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Visiting an Apple Store may yield better results. I have never had a good experience with Applecare. When I take my equipment to a Genius Bar I get much better results.

While I've been at Genius Bars getting things sorted out, I've seen iPods replaced on the spot.

The power supply in my iMac went out about a month ago, I could have gone through the Genius Bar or Frys, I stuck with Frys cause they provided a loaner. But initially I took it to the Genius Bar and they figured out what was wrong pretty quickly.

AppleCare should be scrapped and Genius Bars expanded IMO, there is nothing like being able to have someone diagnose the problem on the spot and then being able to show you how to fix it, you leave knowing more and having a working computer.
  12. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Sorry that you've gone through so much trouble, but really, it's just coincidence...luck of the draw. I've had problems with Apple gear and so have a lot of others here, and believe me, switching to PC stuff won't make it any better. I deal with Dell equipment at work every day and not a week goes by when we don't have to deal with some sort of problem that usually warrants a repair or replacement part for a computer.

I'm sure your Nano will be just fine.
  13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    It's karma EJBasile, just karma.

You know something has to be up with the luck you have.

Something big enough for you to become a magnet for all the bad Macs in your area.

If Stevie really hated you, he'd probably arrange for daily conversion visits by all the religious groups in your town.
  14. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, there are more things that can go wrong on a PC. I'd definitely stick to the Macs :)

Sorry you're having so much trouble, maybe the Nano will turn things around for ya.
  15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The brand new Optiplex GX280 that my Uni bought me is pretty ace! Well, that's because it's free, has an LCD, and 2 GB of RAM. Sweeeet. Nothing wrong with it after 4 months of use, and I hope it continues.

My 2 year old PB is around just in case. Actually, I never use the Dell. Only my 12" PB. Guess that's why I have never run into problems on my Dell. :p
  16. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    I think you need to do a sacrifice to the Apple Gods.

1. Take a working Macintosh that supports iSight, and point it out onto a street were you can park your Land rover.

2. Take a friends Dell laptop, put it in front of the Rover,

3. Run over the Dell, with the Rover, and make sure the tires mash it up well, possibly throwing pieces behind the SUV with the back tires.

5. Save the video file and save it to your iDisk

4. Your troubles should go away!

Seriously, I hope your luck gets better, I had a bout with my iBook and Powermac that I think I am now past.. Only time will tell. I am still happy to be an Apple man though!!
  17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    You drive a Land Rover. You should be used to overpriced products that break down a lot. ;)
  18. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    Ouch! - this is actually mostly true i know two doctors who have traded rovers in for landcruisers becasue the rovers were so bad
  19. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    True. Land Rovers do break a lot, but their getting a little better IMO. I still have had a bunch of problems. Its not that bad though (except for the bill), you drive your car there, get a loner, and drive wherever, and then pick up your car.

The Land cruiser is nothing special in my mind. My father has the LX470 and still, its not nearly as cool as the Range Rover. I think the Land Cruiser/LX470 need a makeover.
  20. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Think about what you're saying there. If you have this bad of luck with Apple products, buying a PC would be disasterous. It might explode while you're using it and kill you or something. Better stick with defective Apple products rather than risk your life on a deadly Dell.

I'm only partly kidding. ;)
  21. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    I know I wouldn't. :mad:

Sorry, but you have to work in customer service for a while to understand how fustrating it is that people think they own you.
  22. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Well, I did have a battery in an iPod that started to burn up. Maybe if I had left it charging there for another few hours it would have exploded and lit my house on fire.
  23. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Okay, I changed my mind. You need to give up technology entirley and live like a hermit in the mountains. :D Just Kidding, but that is some seriously bad mojo you got going there.