Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I have a Powerbook G4 with a Superdrive. Why does it take so long to simply burn a few files onto a CD? It goes through a copying phase and then a burning phase. It seems to take maybe 10-15 minutes to burn a few pictures. Am I doing something wrong or is this how the Superdrive works?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What are you burning? If it's a music CD then it'll take a little while to convert all the music with the time depending almost entirely on your processor.

The copying part implies that data CDs are burning slow too. Check Activity Monitor to see if there's a process using up an extraordinary amount of resources. Also, does the drive read disks at normal speeds? What app are you using to burn them all? Is it different for different apps (Finder, iTunes, Toast or whatever)? :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Using the Finder is notoriously slow, as it has to copy to the CD, and then burn the CD. Try a program like Toast, or if you prefer something cheap or free you can try

Disc Burner

or Firestarter

which both work quite well in my experience.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Verifying the burned disc also takes a good bit of time so I always uncheck that step.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Also, what version of OS X are you using? Integrated burning has been improved in Tiger, although it still could be quite better.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
if you are using good media (proper speed) then you could possibly have a defect Superdrive, it isn't really common, but it does occur, for instance at my COOP (apple store assistant technician) today, i tested a powerbook that had a bad drive, if yours is still under warranty, then it will be free to replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.