Why does Diablo 2 look like hell on a new iMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CoffeeMonkey, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2003
    I'm trying to run the Carbonized version of D2 on a new iMac, and it looks horrible. I've tried the various settings, and either I get a poor frame rate, or the colors look all washed out.

I read the note at the Blizzard support site saying that they knew about issues with the Nvidia drivers on MacOS versions after 8, but the note was a pretty old one. I'm assuming that the iMac shipped with the latest drivers, but I find a drivers section on Apple's support site.

Has anyone found an optimal video setting for D2? I know its an old game, but I still like to go back to it on occasion.

2. Hakon macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2003
  3. Einherjar macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003

I run Diablo II on a Dual 800 with 1.25 gig of RAM and a GeForce3, and it runs like absolute trash on anything except 256 colors (go into the configure video, select software rendering, and run it at 640x480 (hit the expert tab) if it runs poorly for you at 800x600....also in game, hit escape and play with the video options to fix your color and gamma issues...on my G4 it looked okay but there wasn't enough contrast until I played with it a little.

Keep in mind that the Diablo II patch is upwards of a year old, and so it's not up to date on Mac OS X's fixes and such.

Please, Blizz, give us a new update!
  4. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    It will only look right if your video settings are equal to the max resolution of your iMac. If not, no matter what the color depth, the colors will look washed out. Its the drawback of LCDs they only work well at optimal resolution.

5. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Diablo=Devil, and the devil is suposed to live in Hell.
    :D :D
  6. Einherjar macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Not to be a flamer, but that is entirely useless to point out. Diablo II only runs in 640x480 or 800x600, so of course it's not native res for the iMac. I've got a 17'' Studio, and with some tweaking in the Video, it doesn't look hardly washed out at all. What he means, Coffee, is just explaning how LCD's don't look quite right at anything other than native res (which should be obvious).

What I'm saying is that the default gamma and and general video settings on D2 suck, and to get optimal performance and image quality (be it on a CRT or LCD), you must play with the settings, particularly the 256 color setting. If it runs like crap on a unified NVIDIA driver on my machine, it'll run like crap yours, too. Just be sure to either play in 9 on the original Diablo II installed app, or play in 256 in X.

What also may be to blame is that D2 is having to work with the widescreen of the iMac, and can't handle it.....
  7. mattmack macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    It might not be all that obvious to someone who is new to LCD's
  8. Einherjar macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    The focus is the performance, though....I already prescribed the fix for the colors..
  9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Did you'll set the graphics to OpenGL? If not, do so.

D2 performance under OS X sucks for me on my 8MB Rage 128 Mobility card. I get about 7-20 FPS under OS X with OpenGL mode. Under OS 9, with RAVE mode (not available in X), I get between 80 and 120FPS.

-Word! 450/500 posts! 50 more and I get a 'tar.
  10. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I cant get it to run fast at all on my computer (see specs below). I think blizzard "just doesnt give a ____." I suggest just getting use to the low quality, or, run it in OS 9.
  11. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Run it in OS9. I use to run it on my old B/WG3 400 with an ATIRadeon at 800x600 with no problems.