Why does Disney channel cover up apple's apple.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tennismanclay, Sep 24, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Yesterday i had to babysit my cousin, and he was watching one of the new serious called iCarly or something. Anyways they had to check something on the computer and they had a macbook pro, but whenever you saw the front, the apple logo was covered up by something, i think it was a sticker of a pear.

I have seen this many times on the disney channel where they cover up the apple logo on the front with a sticker or a star or something.

I'm sure there's a reason they do it but i was just wondering.

-Clay

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

TANSTAFA

There ain't no such thing as free advertising.

Companies pay big bucks for product placement, so why give it to them for free.

They're not alone: see this recent thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=359935

B

3. macrumors 6502a

webgoat

same thing on extreme makeover home edition... its obviously a macbook pro with a small rectangle covering the apple ... i'm assuming they tried to get apple to pay them in order to show it and they didn't bite

4. macrumors 68040

squeeks

still...disney practically owns apple now (ok not really) or is it apple owns disney??? (ok not really that either)

but disney dose own pixar now, and im sure everyone knows who founded pixar...

5. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's something that's done in many TV shows and films – for one reason or another, the makers don't want to go flashing logos around. After all, why do it for free when there are plenty of companies who are happy to pay you to use their products? ;)

Here in the UK, there are actually rules in place governing product placement on TV shows (mainly the BBC but I think there may be rules in place for independent channels too). In fact, the BBC got a good telling off a few years back for featuring logo covered products too prominently, one of the transgressions centered around the glowing logos on Apple hardware being on clear display in one of its dramas.

6. macrumors 68040

squeeks

then they just overlay the video on top of the lcd lol they dont really even use the laptop

7. macrumors 6502a

webgoat

can anyone think of a movie with more product placements than talladega nights: the ballad of ricky bobby?

8. macrumors 6502

Well, George Lucas founded Pixar. Jobs just bought it from him.:p

9. macrumors 6502

Yeah, companies play big bucks for product placement. I've seen some movies where every single computer you see in the movie is a mac. Macbook pros, macbooks, imacs, etc.

And I've even seen movies with ALL motorola phones, or ALL phones on tmobile.

To answer webgoat's question, Disturbia has macs all over the place. Shia Leabeauf's character had a macbook pro and an iMac.

John Tucker Must die also has macs everywhere.

I forget the name of the movie, but it's about a group of high school graduates creating a "fake college." They have macs all over the place too.

Attached Files:

10. Retired

psychofreak

There are tons of films and shows with Apple products, some of which have the logo covered up (e.g. Scrubs)...that film was "Accepted", with Justin Long of "I'm a Mac" fame :)

11. macrumors 6502

Yeahhh that's the name! And you know what? I've seen that movie so many times and I've seen that commercial so many times and I NEVER gathered that that's the same guy!

Oh, and I know there are tons with the logo covered up. hehe I was just listing the ones with the :apple: logo displayed.

12. macrumors newbie

Queer as Folk and Entourage are two more shows that have no qualms about flaunting their Apples.

13. macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Studio 60 on the sunset strip is another w/ macs, but they don't cover it up.

14. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The funny thing is that no other PC's look like Apple computers (notebook or desktop) so it's almost laughable that they cover the logo up. Uhh, gee, is that an iMac?

15. macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

If you want to see blatant Apple Product Placement then watch Blade 3 and count! You coul dhave an apple product placement drinking game and be gone before the first cheesey line from Wesley Snipes.

Kevin :apple:

16. macrumors regular

add "How I met your mother" to the list of shows that cover up the apple logo :(

they do use a MBP on there every so often and its covered up by some logo...

17. macrumors 68000

One of the worst modification to remove the Apple I've seen was on Will and Grace, I think. It looked as if they cut a circle in the Aluminum of the 15" powerbook to cut out the Apple logo on the back of the screen. Then they inserted a new translucent piece of white plastic or just kept the old piece. The hole was huge, not centered, and ugly.

On another note, Sex and the City prominently featured the upside down Apple logo on Carrie's G3 powerbook. If I'm not mistaken, that may have been the inspiration to rotate the Apple on all future notebooks. They got great screen time on that show but the logo was always upside down!

18. macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, barney was using one in tonight's episode and it was covered with a sticker of the globe

19. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

The laptop is actually displaying scripts! One of the creative ways actors hide their scripts.

20. macrumors 68040

squeeks

i did that in the last movie we shot, but you could never see the screen on camera

21. macrumors 604

CalBoy

There have been a few episodes with Barney doing this. It sort of irks me, but then again, advertising does make the world go round; wouldn't want to mess with that would I?

22. macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, i like the apple logo too, im always excited to see famous people using my laptop hehe

23. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Me too:) Though TV seems to have a good share of Mac users: better than the average population anyways. It always amazes me, if what celebrities do is popular, why haven't Macs taken over the world yet:confused::D

24. macrumors 68040

squeeks

because unfortunately the average user only wants to spend 400 bucks on a emachine

25. macrumors 604

CalBoy

But a $5 cup of sugar-injected coffee everyday is a great deal:rolleyes: