WHy does Entourage keep getting the same emails from my POP account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Feb 7, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I'm a switcher so sorry if this is a dumb Q (and yes I searched first) but Entourage keeps getting the same emails from my POP account. I have it set to leave messages on the server for a few days (3 I think) before deleting b/c my Blackberry pings the account for emails and if I leave for a weekend I want the BB to find the emails.

But whether I sort the emails into folders, delete them from Entourage, or leave them in the inbox, Entourage retrieves them - again. And I then have to delete them all.

ALso somewhat strangely, it doesn't retrieve them every time it checks the POP account (which it does every minute), only every once in a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    TM

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Could be an Entourage bug. Have you checked http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ for Office updates? If you haven't, I'd encourage you to update, then try again.

3. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm. I just went there to see and I d/l'd the most recent updates and when I tried to install them it said I already had those files installed (i.e. I'm up to date).

TM

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That suggests to me that Entourage isn't remembering what it retrieved from the server already, or it's not remembering long enough. I don't use Entourage myself, so I don't know if there's a preference you can set to work around this issue.

5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

I couldn't find such a preference but I seem to have solved the problem. I was having another problem (the mini wouldn't go to sleep) and it turns out that it was b/c I'd set entourage to check email every 1 minute. Raising it back to every 3 minutes not only allowed the mini to go to sleep, it also seems to have stopped to re-downloading problem (knock on wood!).

Thanks all,
    TM

6. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I was (actually, still am) having the same issue...although it doesn't happen all the time. Then Entourage will download hundreds upon hundreds of messages left on my .Mac account. SO chaning the frequency which Entourage checks mail resolved the issue?

7. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, so far, yes. But as you said the behavior is sporadic. It's definitely possible that Entourage hasn't had the tick in the last day or so. I'll let you know if that changes.

How frequently are you checking for mail? And to be clear, I changed the frequency to solve a different problem. The re-downloading problem *seems* to have cleared up at the same time...

TM

8. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Entourage checks every 5 minutes.

9. Tzachibarel macrumors newbie

WHy does Entourage keep getting the same emails from my POP account?

well it seems like i am facing the same problem started few days ago where entourage keeps download same messages and blowing up my Inbox. any solution for that? i am deleting the repeated messages and then the day after the all come back.

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Check you online mail settings, and see if the box is ticked to Leave a Copy on line. Uncheck it so that once the mail is downloaded, nothing remains.