Why does everyone like mario kart ds so much?

Discussion in 'Games' started by plinkoman, Jul 4, 2006.

1. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I have been playing with mario kart for a few weeks now (got it when ds lite came out), and I have to say, it's not what I expected. Sure, it's a fine game, but every thing i've read about it, here or otherwise, acts as if it's the best ds game out, and if you can only get one ds game, this is it. I just don't see what the big deal is; like I said, it's an alright game and I do enjoy it a bit, but so far, the only award it is winning out of my 3 game collection right now is best game named mario kart. :cool:

What makes the rest of you like this game so much? am I alone in thinking this?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno why I like it, just find it fun to run around the tracks for the millionth time. I've unlocked everything so theres nothing left now. but something pulls me back in. the Nintendo magic in full swing, like in 2D Marios (as well as the old 2D sonics too, IMO).

I like to build up super fast lap times in the time trial mode too, me and the girlfriend bounce the ghosts to each others games for kicks.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree, it is a great Nintendo DS game, and it's my favorite of the 3 I have (I have yet to play one of them, though :eek: ).

I think it's because the physics engine and item system are clever and well-designed, plus the online multiplayer aspect seems to keep people hooked. I don't really use my Nintendo DS much anymore...

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

There are addictive games that you can't really beat -- you can only get better, and that's the draw. That's why Tetris and Mario Kart and sports games (and others) have such a strong pull...

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Agreed. My brother and I long ago unlocked everything...but we can't stop playing! For me, I feel like I can always take 2 seconds off my time, 4 seconds, etc. So even though technically we might have won the game, it's never really finnished.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's addictive, incredibly fun, has tons of replay value, great multiplayer, and great online play, though slightly annoying wait times.

All around great game, definitely worth buying the system for. NSMB is another system seller as well, though it lacks the online component.

7. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think the fact that its the best WiFi game yet is why people like it so much. The only other games that compete are Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS. I know Lost Magic and Animal Crossing have Wifi but it isn't as well implemented because of the friend codes...

Metroid is a great FPS but much more difficult to master the controls and Tetris is great but nothing new really. Racing is always fun and competetive and it is really fun to use a banana peal on that guy coming up behind you haha...

NSMB is a great game but I picked back up Advance Wars and can't put it down...The strategy is intense..Too bad no multiplayer or it would be the best game...

8. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

the fun is when you play with a group of people, trying to beat each other for that WIN... honestly, any games that play alone is very restricted... MK shined in multi-player like Bomberman, Tetris and other multi-player gams... you want to be the best of the best, and no-one can beat you in the game... that's gaming addiction!

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I got a copy of Mario Kart DS the day before it was officially released here in .au land and I still haven't stopped playing it, it just plain kicks a$$! Everyone in my section at work has a DS and we play it against each other all the time! Great game can't fault it.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree that its not really the unlocking of everything in the single player game, but its the multiplayer aspect that makes it good. It's the first massively online MarioKart game so that's always a plus for the game.

I don't really like going through the unlocking phase of most games, so I use the ActionReplay to unlock all of the characters, carts and tracks so that I could spend the majority of the time actually playing with friends.

11. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

time trials. me and a couple friends set up our own webpage to post our best times and we would try to beat each other. we also joined mariokart64.com and posted our times on there. i was top 100 in the world at one point.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I could of told you this from the begining...mario kart and tetris DS never get any play in my DS lite...sure its a good game but it gets stale really fast.

Bless

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's one of only two games I have for the DS and I find that it's just got so many play options that it's constantly fun. I have yet to play a multi-player game so that should be even better but the bots are clever enough.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Mario Kart is just... Mario Kart. There isn't any other game in that genre that comes close to it, and this one added some new power-up items that make multiplayer that much more exciting (imo). Plus the internet multiplayer, which is something that everyone one has wanted in Mario Kart since... well, since the Mario Kart 64 if not Super Mario Kart.

Oh, the plethora of "classic" tracks helps, too, imo. Lots of Mario Kart fans get a kick out of replaying the old tracks with the new mechanics (at least I do!)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Look I can sound cool too...

2 words. Battle mode.

urgh. i felt dirty saying that. The Battle mode is fantastic. Balloon battle on Block Fort is pretty much the pinnacle of any multiplayer game. been playing that probably a little too much. If anyone says "multiplayer battle!" it's written in stone that the level will be Block Fort.

especially with 8 players :eek: multiplayer perfection.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm really into battle mode at the moment as well and of course block fort is my bread and butter! It's funny how you evolve into liking different items in battle mode. At first I really dug the powerful weapons like a single or triple red shell, but that has morphed into my weapon of choice being a single or multi-mushroom. I love imparting the indignity of driving around displaying other karters balloons :D.

As for the other courses in battle mode I'm really unimpressed by them. For me the courses on the original SNES Mario Kart were perfection. I loved all of them and how there were plenty of places to hide and (try to) outrun a foe. In MKDS with the exception of Block Fort in all courses you're practically out in the open just waiting to be nailed by a red shell. Doesn't allow much time for strategy or beating a furious retreat from a red-shell weilder :(.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

MKDS uses friend codes too, so I don't see why it's any different from those. The only thing Lost Magic's WiFi is missing, is people playing. :eek:

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Animal Crossing only lets you play against friends, no random people.

Lost Magic just plain sucks, period.

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

MKDS uses friends codes but you can still play random people which is the most important thing for online games. Personally, I would like to see random people coming into my town while im online in Animal Crossing. It would be a nice little MMORPG then... I need to see if I can find a place to demo that Lost Magic game. It looks interesting and gets decent reviews but if you can only play against people with friend codes it isn't worth it.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They'd probably just run through your flowers, cut down your trees, and steal all your fruit :(.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Plus rearrange all your furniture.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yeah but then they should give those cute little guys guns and cars and make it GTA: Animal Crossing!

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Forget that, I want a ZELDA MMORPG! I can't think of a single thing that would be better than a portable Zelda MMO set in the Wind Waker world with voice chat.

Would be the Best. Game. Ever.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Everyone would name themselves Link, and you know it.

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

So... :eek: