why does finder keep closing/quiting??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 7, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm still internet-less (FL tornado victim-we are fine, neighbors have nothing), but with power restored I have been sorting pictures.

as I'm working in the directories on an external drive-finder keeps blowing up and closing all my windows. I'm not getting any error messages with it.

I was having similar problems late last year, and after a wipe clean install of 10.4.8 it was discovered I had a bad RAM chip. ugh.

would this be a sign one of the 2 is dying again?? the computer having an issue? OS issue??

where should I start with it?

lol, if I don't appear to make it back-i'll be here eventually. the MR board format doesn't work well on my Treo!

thanks for some direction.....

eMac, 1.25ghz, G4, 1gb RAM, OS10.4.8

and there goes the red cross wanting to give me food again!

tracey

2. dukeman macrumors member

I would try copying them local and see if it happens. Might have an issue with the external drive / overflow issue or something. If it happens local then it is a RAM / HDD issue. If it only happens on the external drive you have your answer.

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Did you recently install Stuffit 11.0.2? When I did, I got constant Finder crashes that closed all open windows. Apparently a known problem with one of their contextual menu plugins. You need to remove the bad plugin and download the right one, that solved my problem. I started a thread about his a couple of weeks ago.

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

ohhh, I do have stuffit expander 11.02!!!

ok, i'll look for that thread when the i-net is back up. the cable is apparently ON, just no picture showing (they said it would be "bad" until the tech adjusted it-so bad, nothing there!). Hopefully early tomorrow.

I hope it is that easy-i need something easy this week :D

thanks-
    tracey