Why does Firefox start on Startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiikeMike, May 28, 2006.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Whenver I restart my computer, Firefox starts up. Its not in my startup items folder, and there is no option in firefox for it................. anyone?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It might be that you've got it listed in your Login Items. Take a look in System Preferences, in the Accounts pane – click on the Login Items tab and see if it's listed in there. If so, just untick it and you should be sorted.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Right/Ctrl-click the Firefox icon in the Dock and see if you've checked the "Open at login" option somehow... :)

4. reh macrumors 6502a

That tick mark has nothing to do with whether the program starts or not. Note the title of that column: "Hide". An tick mark just means it'll start and then hide itself. You need to select the program and push the minus button at the bottom to remove it from your startup items.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You're spot on about that – serves me right for posting without actually opening up the System Prefs and checking first. :eek: :D

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Thanks guys, I dunno what I'd do without you! :cool:

7. Mactabulous, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

Mactabulous macrumors member

I'm having the exact same problem, only Firefox is not listed in my login items, and Firefox is not set to Open at login. Is there any way to resolve this?

Editing this post for future reference, in case anyone else experiences the same issue: After a ton of frustration, I finally figured this out. However, after uninstalling Firefox, it still kept launching during login. This is not possible, right? Wrong! I had Firefox bundled in an old installation of the TOR Browser/Vidalia. Uninstalling the bundle resolved everything. I have never been more flabbergasted as I was after seeing Firefox still starting up after uninstalling it, not realizing I had another installation hidden in the aforementioned bundle.

8. msheaver macrumors newbie

PopClip is the culprit!

I had looked everywhere on my MacBook, and did not find anything. Finally, in exasperation, I ended up removing Firefox. Well, while updating PopClip (a WONDERFUL and handy little utility), I noticed that one of the bugfixes involves an issue with launching Firefox (see attached screenshot):

Info can be found here:
    http://pilotmoon.com/popclip/

I am so glad to finally find the answer to this perplexing issue! :)

Attached Files:

9. medoras macrumors newbie

PopClip Is The Culprit

Thanks for the tip. I had tried everything else and PopClip was indeed the culprit.