Why does FIREFOX take so LONG to OPEN?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I am running a MacBook with 2GB of RAM and I have FireFox set up as a login item. At login it takes about 6 bounces to finally open. And then if I Firefox and open it up again it only takes 1-2 bounces. Is Firefox like this with everyone? Are they working on it to make it open faster in the next version? Thanks.

2. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

3. Tech macrumors newbie

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the intel-build support ALL plug-ins because there were some complaints that it didn't but is it fixed now? And will downloading this Intel-version override all the features on the Universal Firefox or will it be two separate applications? Thanks.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

7. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Damn this thing is blistering fast now!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I do have extentions, why?

Alsom is it likely that Mozilla will ever release an Intel-only version of Firefox that will run very fast?

9. WillMak macrumors 6502a

The more I use this the more I'm liking it! Thanks a lot Jason!

10. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Try this...

*** AT YOUR OWN RISK *** IF YOU MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER
    *** IT'S NOT MY FAULT ***

How To Speed Up Firefox

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

11. WillMak macrumors 6502a

eleveneastgate -> wouldn't more request cause the sites one's trying to access to lose bandwidth? Resulting in more crashes?

12. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do extentions work with the Intel-only Firefox?

I tried what eleveneastgate said andit doens't really make any difference and the program still takes the same amount of time to load (forever).

13. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Wow, that does make it fast! EVEN AT WORK!

Steve

14. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Response

The more extensions you have loaded, the more RAM memory it must use (and more CPU to an extent). Turn off some of them to speed it up. If it's only a couple usually they don't matter that much.

You can try reinstalling it or use SeaMonkey or Camino or Opera.

15. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

It takes longer to open because it's not OS X native. It's ported to OS X. Safari was built for OS X which is why it loads and renders faster than Firefox. Like said previously, the more extensions and stuff you have on Firefox also adds to load time.

16. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Fasterfox is an extension that puts all of these tweaks into a GUI with various page-loading/rendering presets including full customization, so there is no need to muck with all of the stuff in the very user-unfriendly about:config interface. All you need to do with Fasterfox is select your desired speed enhancement preset and you're set. You can change it at anytime should you run into compatibility issues with any sites, and you can reset everything back to FF defaults.

As a bonus, it includes a page load timer that you can, optionally, have on your status bar so you can look and be amazed at your page load times, if you are impressed by that sort of thing.

17. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Unfortunately, this does absolutely nothing to speed up launching firefox.

Aside from extensions, I don't see why everyone is so set on using firefox on the mac. There are so many better alternatives. Webkit is a better rendering engine, IMO. And if you do prefer the mozilla engine, camino is worlds better than firefox. Again, this is assuming you don't live off of extensions.

Sometimes I think a lot of people don't know why they prefer firefox aside from the fact that everyone's jumping on the firefox bandwagon (which is great if you are running windows).

18. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I would use camino, but it loads my bookmarks in a weird way (it loads all of them instead of tabbing them).

19. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no one has answered me yet.... do extentions work on this Intel-only version of Firefox???

Also, does CAMINO take a shorter time to startup than FF? Will it take less bounces to open it up at startup than FF? What are the benefits of Camino over FF? It sucks that there are no camino extentions.:(

20. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It would cost nothing for you to download it and try it for yourself.

22. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just did and I don't like it because it says Deer Park or whatever all over it and it takes the SAME amount of time to load at start up (6+ bounces). I download the 1.5 version with aqua formatting, is the 2.0 version faster and not say all this Deer Park crap all over? Thanks.

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Deer Park is Firefox. The name shows up on some development builds, and also gets used for custom builds to help make it clear they aren't the generic mainstream releases.

24. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, well I was told that this Intel-only build would run a lot faster than the regular firefox. It turns out it takes the same amount of time to open at startup and seems to run as fast as the regular FF.