Why does Google look different in Safari/Webkit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apfhex, Sep 9, 2006.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I presume Google has some code that displays a different format for Safari/Wekbit users (that means Omniweb, Shiira, etc.), but why? It's not as functional as the "normal" results page IMHO. I haven't had the opportunity to try it on Safari on another Mac with another internet connection, but I don't see why I would be the exception here. I have tried it on a clean user account on my Mac though with the same results.

(BTW, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm signed into my google account in Safari)

Attached Files:

2. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

No one? I'm not alone am I? It's the same on my Mac Pro. A bit of a curiosity.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Doesn't look like that on my machine. Must be your safari prefs. Maybe try clearing the cache?

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

That has happened to me a few times. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't always look that way. If I remember correctly, it has done that before in Firefox too.

5. MrFrankly macrumors regular

Maybe it's Google testing a new layout. And possibly you fit certain conditions which makes them activate the test for you. They do that sometimes.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, its a test google layout, it works in firefox too.
    goto google.com
    type in the address bar "
    " and press enter
    and there you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it will last until you clear the cookies from google.

7. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, that and emptying ALL my cookies from Safari are the first things I tried. But as I said, it's the same on my brand-spankin' new Mac Pro, so it's definitely not a software issue on my end.

Interesting! Thanks for the code, that changed it back. Why would this "test layout" be activated on both of my Macs without me doing anything? It had been like that for at least a month or two.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably because Google has decided to serve the pages to you like that.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

wow this is gonna sound wierd, but when I read that, I thought of the Nazis... :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

10. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

I guess I'm special then. :p It might make sense if they allowed FEEDBACK on the layouts, otherwise what's the point?!

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

let me guess, how do you use google search? from search box of safari? if so, try clear the cookies, and goto google.com. its interesting and worth finding out the cause.

12. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

I usually use the search box in Safari, BUT I tried it both ways with the same result. Also, I mentioned in my OP that this was for ALL webkit browsers that I tried, that includes Shiira and OmniWeb! Just so this doesn't get turned into a Safari-only issue...