Why does imac 17" screen "flash" and "wiggle" in Safari?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jkandell, Sep 6, 2005.

1. jkandell macrumors member

Sep 6, 2005
    Tucson AZ
    I was comparing iMac G5s at the Applestore and was surprised at the display differences between the 17" and 20" models. I know they're supposed to be the same quality but the 20" seemed better: it was noticably brighter, and the colors themselves were a bit different on the two models (!).

Another important difference beteen the 17" and 20" was how Safari web pages appear when scrolling down. On the 17", the text and some images "flash" and "wiggle" as they scroll by, especially diagonals and half-tones/greys. The 20" scrolled web pages much smoother. It almost seemed like the 17" had a much worse refresh rate, but that doesn't make sense, they both use the same graphics card and have the same pixel-pitch.

Anyone else notice the "flash and wiggle" when surfing on the 17"? What explains it? And why would the colors be different between the two?

Both displays were set on "imac" and brightest in system preferences, colors was set to millions, and resolution was at its highest in both cases (1440X900, and 1680X1050).

I noticed a mini with a 20" cinema monitor didn't have this problem either.
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I hope it's only a problem with that particular machine, because I just ordered a 17" today! :eek: