Why does iTunes not have a Command for Shuffle?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Feb 12, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have always found that annoying.

But then of course I remembered you can create whatever command you want. So I did. And now I don't know why I'm making a thread about this. Perhaps to see if anyone else has already done this.

Command-S for Shuffle. That was easy. Anyone else do this?

2. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Synergy is actually pretty much the only software i've ever bought for my mac.

It only costs 5 euros. It can give you a little itunes controller on the right side of the menu bar (what's that called? system tray?), gives you nice little translucent floaters displaying track info and album art that it automatically downloads from the net, and you can set up global hot keys to control itunes. This way, i've got F4 giving me the floater, F5 toggling Shuffle, F6=<<, F7=>>, F8 = play/pause. There are a bunch of other commands you can set up too.

Seems like you're all set for the shuffle thing, just a FYI.

3. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but I thought that the "Shuffle" button in iTunes (bottom left had side of the window, second from the left, in between the "create a playlist" and "repeat" buttons) would do the trick...

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have used Synergy before and I like it a lot. People would give compliments on my Macintosh because the little floater is quite attractive little option. But after a while I got tired of it, not to mention it seemed unneccesary.

I usually use my keyboard to control everything, and I would want to know what song was playing, so I started using QuickTunes. It give me the title of the song and artist in the System Tray, and I use keyboard shortcuts in the program to change the songs. I am quite content now that I have my shuffle command setup too!

EDIT: Agent Smith, yeah those do the trick, but it isn't the most attractive option for quickly turning Shuffle on/off (for me).

5. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

It doesn't have a name, but the things on it are called "Menu Extras" or "Menulets".

So Synergy is a Menu Extra.