Why does JetBlue rock so?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I was contemplating a trip to Louisiana and California during the summer, and was scouting around for flight prices. I was recommended studentuniverse.com, and so I went and checked the prices. $223 for a flight to Louisiana? A little pricey... and I have to hop flights in Dallas, Texas. And to California? Almost $400. Eh, maybe I should save my money and not go...

And then I remembered how I used to use JetBlue to fly up to Rochester, New York, when I was attending RIT, and remembered how awesome it was - both in price and speed. And so I went to check out their site to check out the prices.

Louisiana, $99, direct.
    California, $199, direct. Only 3 hours of flight time to boot!

I mean, holy ****. That's just ****ing sweet.

So heads up to everyone... JetBlue rocks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Turbulence...

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Three hours from where - Louisiana?

Jet Blue has a really good rep, it seems.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've always wanted to try JetBlue on my travels but I've never found an occasion where it was easy/convenient to do so.

First, since I live in SF, I'd have to go out of Oakland. I'll do it on occasion, but I'd much rather fly out of SFO...20 minutes instead of an hour and a half to get to the airport.

Second, my primary destination is to visit my parents in Buffalo. That requires a connection at JFK on JetBlue. I really hate flying in the wrong direction.

Third, I've never found them to be cheaper than other airlines on any route I've been booking. If they were significantly cheaper, I'd deal with some of the other inconveniences, but they haven't ever been in my travels.

Mars.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe it's because so many of their executives were formerly with Southwest, and they learned what not to do.

6. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

its not surprising everybody's so expensive, considering you live on mars.

7. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

JFK.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How about taking in the time difference?

JetBlue is six hours NY to California just like everybody else...their planes aren't any faster.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Yah.

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

D'oh

Still half the price of everyone else though.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You do also realize that the prices are $99/$199 each way, right?

12. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah. Other places it's almost $400 one way.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...I'm flying SF-Buffalo next week for $320 roundtrip on Northwest (not my favorite airline, but I was booking less than two weeks in advance and I took the cheapest airline available). I don't think I've ever paid more than $400 for a round trip ticket anywhere in the US.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Are they putting you through Detroit? God that airport suxxorz.

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...I don't mind it too much though. I prefer Minneapolis, but that's what was available.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

I used to fly to the Weast Coast two or three times a year when fares were in the low 200s. Those were the good old days - haven't been to Monterey since last April. :rolleyes:

17. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I've never found jetblue or southwest or whoever to be all that low priced. I get on orbitz and can usually find cheaper cares pretty easily from the bigger airlines. Maybe its jsut the places I go, but sometimes jetblue has been substantially MORE expensive than other airlines.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Depends on the route - I find it to be about 50/50.

From here to Jacksonville (step mum), United or Southwest usually win, but I will pay more on SW not to drive to fracking Dulles.

I refuse to fly SW to the West Coast - at any price. If I am going to be in a metal can for 5.5 hours, I want to pick my seat, watch a movie and get a few snacks along the way - and preferably not in an A320 (JB) or a 737 (SW).

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, it definitely depends on the route. My parents often fly Buffalo-Las Vegas nonstop on Southwest for under $200. None of the legacy carriers can touch that.

I flew Oakland-Las Vegas last month for $150 on Southwest when everybody else wanted $200.

20. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Look at this. I'm not discouraging you, I just though that it was cool, and since we're talking about JetBlue...:D

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...stuff like that happens to all the airlines. The pilot did a darn good job of getting that plane down for a picture-perfect landing.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Of course he did - do you think he would have ever heard the end of it if he didn't at least plant the landing - national TV? :D

23. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay, JetBlue isn't the cheapest way to get to California by air - but the ones cheaper than JetBlue has connecting flights - for example, America West can get me from JFK-ONT for $150, but I have to stop in Las Vegas. JetBlue is the cheapest I've seen for a direct flight.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I know someone who goes to school at BU, she takes JetBlue to and from (CA) and has nothing but praise for them.

:edit: I just watched that clip of that landing-- whew, that's crazy. Glad it worked out, though.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The new vintages are here... I'm expecting the call to come pick up my Pinots any day now... :p