Why Does Keychain Want My Password Every Startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Horrortaxi, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Each time I log into my PowerMac I'm asked for my password (see screenshot). I imported my settings from Panther so I suspect it's related to that. People I know who have done upgrade or archive and install haven't had this problem (I did a clean install). Any idea how to turn this off?

Attached Files:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try this: Open Keychain Access, in your utilities folders. Go to preferences, and the First Aid tab, and check all the boxes. Then, select Keychain First Aid from the Keychain Access menu. Type your password into the password box, and run it under repair until nothing shows up in red in the output box (do it multiple times if you need to). This should resolve it.

3. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'll remember that for next time. I got impatient and deleted the keychain, which worked.

Thanks for the tip.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you delete the login keychain, and then create a replacement, you might actually run into the same problem. At least, if you create a replacement manually; this is how I got into the mess and found this out (I was trying to import my keychain from Panther, and for some reason I couldn't get it to import into the existing login keychain, so I deleted that one, but then, after that, I had to password in to the new one separately from my login. I don't know what happens if you delete it and then let it create a new one for you automatically (the next time it asks if you want to keychain something, and you say yes). So you might need it yet! :eek: