Why Does Mac Have Hardly Any Good Games!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Nov 28, 2005.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    I cant believe this, this is the only thing i have against mac, is the games. It takes so long for a really good game to come to mac from pc, and in the time it takes to come out, 10 awesome pc games come out. I went to a site, and theres like 15 upcoming mac games in the next year, thats terrible, pc has that every month, more most of the time, I just want your opinions on this.

Battlefield 2
    Far Cry
    Half Life 2 (Cs Source and DoD source as well)
    these would be awesome ports to mac, and mac can handle it
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Because most (nearly all) are coded for x86, they then need to be ported to PPC or else they won't work on Macs.

Economically, with more people using Windows it is more viable to create a game for the wider marker.

Many new games cannot be used on PPC (Havoc engine for example) and hence why some games are not possible for porting.

If you are willing to port games, by all means do.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    the reason is simple: Mac OS is a smaller market, Mac gaming an even smaller market. It takes time, money and resources to port a game over, and porting isn't always the easiest thing in the world to do. In short, in many cases, there's little economic incentive to spend money on a Mac port that may or may not make money when that money may be better allocated elsewhere (cashflow is important too remember, its not always just about making a profit. Just because something might be profitable sitll doesn't make it a good idea if it takes resources away from projects that would be even mroe profitable).

My advice, get a great console system and go with that. might not have all the games you want, but there should be plenty to keep you occupied.
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    And with Apple's announced transition to Intel processors, that makes the business proposition of porting a game to Mac even more dubious. For the present, even more so than a console, I suggest a DS. Portables are the 'happening space' in the gaming world today.
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I expect porting Mac games will become easier when Apple has fully switched to x86.

However, as long as they are PowerPC, and even worse when they are half-and-half, it will take time for games to be ported and games will come out a half year to a year late.
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    I have a fairly well specced gaming pc which gives me 60 FPS on Doom 3 at 1280x1024 High Textures no Antialising.

On my mac with same GFX card I get around 30.

FEAR on my PC sometimes chugs and I get around 30 FPS so I would hate to imagine this running on my powermac.

Ironically Condemned:Criminal Origin on the Xbox 360 uses the same GFX engine as FEAR and it runs at 60 FPS, when you consider that the 360 is cheaper than the GFX card I have in either the mac or pc you can see why I've given up trying to game on the mac, and this will be the last gaming pc rig I'll be buying.

I know it's going off topic but ;-

I love most new hardware but when the DS came out I did not get that 'must get' feeling that I usually have throbbing in the back of mind. I got the PSP at Japan launch (a year ago) and thought it was great. I recently traded in a few PSP games, (F1, Virtua Tennis, Ape Escape) and a couple of PS2 & Xbox old shelf fillers, and with the credit I decided to buy a Mario Kart DS pack (mainly on impulse) and a couple of Xtra games (Sonic Rush, Kirby & Advanced Wars) and WOWSER I love the bloody thing. More than I ever would have thought. I bought Mario DS shortly after even though I have it on the N64, the new adventure elements and character and couple of levels do give it a zest of new life and make a great game even better. Now with Animal Crossing DS on order I'm in DS heaven and my PSP with GTA is sat on the shelf looking pretty (compared to the DS) but sad because i'd rather be playing the DS than it.

OK Back on topic.....

I just got Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on the mac. It's a good conversion, but yet again the framerate on the powermac doesn't compete with the PC of similar spec, I have had to lower screen resolution and drop the draw distances fairly low and disable shadows as when your park is half built the mac begins to strain.

Also a year after the PC release and with the second Expansion out before the mac version I'm pretty peed off that Aspyr did not include at least the first expansion pack built in.
  7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I think PC gaming is going to go down the tubes soon as well. Read this -- (I know, its apple-bashing Thurott) essentially, the xbox 360 provides a PC quality game experience for the price of the latest videocard. These economics are going to whack PC games sooner or later.

In my opinon, the intel switch will kill off what is left of mac gaming-- once a developer has an intel compatible game, and once a mac can run windows; no one will bother porting.
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Nah. PC gaming will exist as long as we have keyboards and mouses.

And on top of that, $2500-$4000 to match XBox 360 and PS3? That's exaggurated.
  9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    I'd go out on a limb and say the problem is Direct X more than the processor being used, but I could be way off.

I envision the Intel Mac hardware (esp Power Mac and PowerBook) running Windows in a VM with very little performance loss (since you would no longer be emulating the processor, just giving a sandbox for the OS). With that, you can run Windows from within OS X and game from there.

Alternatively, I can see Windows becoming a part of OS X similar to Classic mode as we know it. Double-click on a Windows app, load the necessary Windows code into memory, and get to using whatever app you just tried to load.

Maybe I'm too optimistic.
  10. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    They may beat PC's now, but the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be around until what? 2010 until PS4/Xbox3? Who knows by then what level of graphics PC will be then.
  11. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    True, but seeing as though the new consoles are currently more powerful, its a better investment to buy a console for the next couple of years (2007-08) than a PC, especially if you only use the pc for gaming (like myself) and PC's do not have anything like the resell value of a mac...
  12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    You could all send a couple of ideas to requests@aspyr.com to let them know that there's demand for certain games :)
  13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Another reason:

Do you know how hard it is for a publisher to keep up with one version of the game?

When a game is released for PC, there are tons of bugs and those are fixed in many patches that come out well over two years of the games release. That means developers have to work hard to keep up with the game.

Now, they have to not only keep up with the game, but learn a ton about Windows to combat the game's problems. They have to become experts with that games coding and Windows. And then they have to test it on many different computer configurations.

And try throwing a Mac in there. The people would have to first port the game over which will have a ton of bugs because its never a smooth port of the game. Then, they need to learn all about Macs to work with the problems, and need to fix the bugs. Keeping up with Windows, Mac, and many different versions of the game is hard.

Now, some games can be ported over easily, but developers just choose not to.
  14. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    DirectX is proprietary and made for Windows...so, most likely, there will be no real DirectX for Mac, but being on x86 will make doing things like WINE and WINEX on OS X much more feasible....anyway, if you can dual boot Windows, why bother?

Really there aren't a whole lot of good games for Mac, lets face it. But we can all go buy XBox 360s (or PS3's in my case!), and get our gaming fix there. :D
  15. sord macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    Probably already mentioned, but the biggest reason is because most games make use of x86 assembler for speed critical tasks (a lot in the rendering engine, physics engines, etc). x86 and PPC assembler are completely different, so for a game to come out for OS X, its assembler parts need to be ported and chances are companies are not willing to invest to have their devs learn PPC assembler (especially now that OS X is going to x86).

That said, when OS X goes to x86, we will see a lot more games because the x86 code will not need to be ported, just the OS specific stuff.
  16. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    So when apple switches to intel, we will be seeing a lot more games then?
  17. louis_sx macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2005
    International House of Louis
    Don't forget moronic publishers like EA who will WAIT to license a game to Aspyr 6-12 months after it came out. Aspyr was able to ANNOUNCE it was STARTING to port The Sims 2 about the time that the University expansion pack came out on the PC. Once Night Life was looming, only then did Aspyr ANNOUNCE that it was getting ready to port University. This applies to pretty much ANY EA-published game. Look at Tiger Woods 2005...almost a year old and 2006 for PC was right around the corner when it 2005 Mac came out in August. I think that's a huge problem that gives Mac games an unfair shaft.

Activision has been doing it, too...just look at the leadtime between Tony Hawk games...4 was coming to PS2/Xbox/PC about the time that 3 was coming to the Mac, and so on.

And Doom III...

Come to think of it, maybe it's Aspyr's fault...:(

Thank God for Blizzard...they've shown you can have concurrent versions of the same game - on the same MEDIA for God's sake - going and updating and sharing a common codebase.
  18. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Look at Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 for the mac. Aspyr release it AFTER the second expansion is available for the PC version.

By the time they get round to putting out the first expansion, Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 will have beem released ;)