why does macrumors lean liberal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gwuMACaddict, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

just curious... wondering what about this forum's demographic shows such an obvious bias. the country was pretty evenly split in the last election, but you'd never know it from reading the boards here. any ideas?

(telling me- well the other half of the country are nothing but idiots isnt going to lead to a very intelligent discussion- so dont do that)

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ok, some stereotypes here, but what the hell eh, don't get offended anyone. :)

I think that MacRumors leans liberal for a couple of reasons:
    1) Most of these reasons are rooted in the fact that Macs are a giant minority, favored greatly by...
    a) Artists and Designers
    b) Video and Audio Professionals
    so...It can be said (vaguely) that many of these people are creative, arty types, who are generally quite liberal.
    2) I've also noticed from some of the threads that there is a large population of homosexual users on MacRumors, and, to use a couple more stereotypes and generalizations, homosexuals often fit into the creative arty position described above, and often are quite liberal.

Please note that if you are a member of one of the above groups, and don't fit my stereotypes, then don't get mad, I was just noting some common generalizations that are often true in the majority.

I also think that there are more conservative people here than most think, but they are afraid to come out as being so, because they perceive a gross majority of the users to be liberal.

That's my little analysis. :)

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I am struggling to imagine a scenario where this discussion goes in a positive direction. :rolleyes:

I would say that Macintosh users in general tend to "lean liberal", and thus readers of this forum would tend to do the same. That of course begs the question of why Mac users tend to lean liberal, if you even accept that premise (I mean, Rush Limbaugh is a serious Mac afficianado and talks about Macs a lot on his show).

4. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

uhhh... thats exactly what i asked :D

ok, well- not exactly... but a logical extenuation

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Influx of foreign minds on this board ... that will set you guys straight :D

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly... what many Americans tend to see as liberal & left-leaning is pretty centrist by UK standards.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe it has something to do with the high percentage of former Soviet Kommissars on the forums.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, I thought that went without saying. ;)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There you go, pay attention to Mr. Velvet. Of all the forums on MacRumors, this one seems to include the largest number of regular posters from outside the US. It might be instructive for Americans to learn where the political center resides in Europe and much of the rest of the world, and if they have to find out here, then so be it. Maybe then they'll understand why the US and Americans have become so remarkably unpopular around the world.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's Ms. Velvet to you... :)

11. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Got proof? :D

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A thousand pardons. I thought it might be presumptuous to call you by your given name. ;)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And, by extension, what many Americans see as right-wing is right off our scale....

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hmmm... last time I checked, anyway...

:)

(Clean) pic in profile.
    Not anywhere in the Keira league, I'm afraid.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now, now... let's not go overboard. Doubtless you've got your share of far right-wing oiks. I've spent enough time in the UK to know that.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The far-right in the UK exist but are a little different and have far fewer mass-media outlets for the dissemination of their views. My perception is, that their overt political views center around racism...

I guess the heady cocktail of guns, views on abortion & religion is something peculiarly American.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

She ain't all that y'know? :D

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Heh-heh.

That's sacrilege in these here parts... and besides, I guess you're on intimate terms with her?

80+clicks in one day, remember?

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, I'm prepared to meet the holy Keira protector :D
    I think she's too skinny, but that's just me. She doesn't look bad by any means, I just don't think that she is that hot.
    (Edesignuk doesn't really frequent the political boards anyway, so I guess I am pretty safe) ;)

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Look behind you... :p

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

judging from poli forums alone, i can't come to any real conclusions about the political leanings of MR contributors.

i started posting here when the iraq war broke, and it was WAY heavy w/ war supporters. pretty much myself a p'brit, as i recall, questioning what was going on.

as the WMD reports were retracted, as the US body counts went up, the rhetoric started changing. some people, like LethalWolf and BTTM, were bold enough to publicly state that they had changed their minds on some issues.

over the past year or so, it's been about the same 8 "left-leaning" posters and a slew of "right-leaning" trolls. most of the latter are incapable of sustaining intelligent discourse and keeping their cool, and are either banned or stop posting. so it's hard for me to say if it's left-leaning or not, but i can understand why someone, at casual glance, would think that.

btw -- not all the right-leaning posters are trolls.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh yes, I agree -- the right is more mainstream in the US. I was simply qualifying Skunk's remark that the right wing of US politics wouldn't even measure on the UK scale.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Knock, knock.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you've got anything to say, E, you'd better say it to Ms Velvet.... :D

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why's that? Blue's cool, and doesn't look too shabby herself in her profile pic :D...it's that Diatribe that's in trouble :p