Why does my computer have to be a freak?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Aug 26, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I installed Jag on my iMac Saturday night but wasn't able to really have a good look at it until this morning. (I have spent significant time with it on my iBook, and WOW. Thus far the performance increase is much more noticeable on the iBook - it totally kicks ass. It's actually running Photoshop at a decent pace. Wow.) But I digress. The question of the day is:

Why(tf) is my hard drive icon an iPod? I swear it was like this when I first installed it (the pic was taken Saturday night.) I just plugged in my iPod for comparison. WTF?

Attached Files:

• hd.jpg
      hd.jpg
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sorry, i don't have any specific answers... but i can tell you, your computer is not the only freak...

i had some weird problems with the jag cd in my computer... it would take it like 3 minutes (literally) to open up the cd contents window.... and it wouldn't reboot from the disc for about 15 tries. and it gave me an error like i'd never seen before... when restarting a screen came up (kinda like the new boot screen, but not quite) and it said "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power...."

blah blah

so, you're not alone with the freakness...

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

>...and it said "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power...."

That would be the new Kernel Panic.

If you guys erased the Hard Drive completely you might not have had this problem. If you did, try running the fsck -y and resetting the open firmware in OS X 10.2, and zap your PRAM. I'm not saying that will work, but it shouldn't hurt.

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I have gotten the 'You need to reboot" Rosetta Stone a few times... I think I have tracked down my problems to my USB BlueTooth dongle. I bought one of the BlueBerry ones while the Apple Store was on eternal backorder with the D*Link one, and it worked (as well as the Beta support would allow) under 10.1.5, but now it is wigging out. If I plug the dongle into the keyboard, the entire keyboard/mouse/bluetooth triumvirate/troika/trio simply stop working whenever they feel like it. I can unplug the keyboard from the computer (and hence the Bluetooth dongle and mouse) and they will all work immediately upon reinserting the keyboard plug... but only for periods ranging from 2 seconds to 4 hours. MOST strange.

ALSO....

I installed the Developer's Tools with the retail version of Jaguar. I did not install them with the ... less than retail version of 6c115 that was floating around the net, and never saw the BlueTooth problem or "You Need To Reboot.." Rosetta Stone until I formatted the drive and installed the retail version on Saturday. The point to this is: Either there IS a difference between the two (retail vs. not) or the problems are the result of installing the Developer Tools. Draw your own conclusions.. I am not sure which I think just yet.

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

it's sounding like Jag aint all its suppossed to be.....I cant install it yet as my 6500 will likely explode. When the new tower comes it'll be installed already....hopefully with an updated non-buggy Jag....

Maybe this is the reason that 10.2.1 is almost out....

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

nope, didn't have time to erase the hard drive yet. also, did all that stuff already, but thanks alpha... ha

i think it was my kensington mouse. which would also gel with indygophers suspicion that it was a usb bluetooth dongle... considering i got a message telling me the kensington drivers were corrupt or something...

everything's working well though now. hopefully i'll have time to reformat in the near future.

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Sorry, King Cobra.. I did do the whole wipe-the-drive before installing.. but nonetheless, a valid suggestion for anyone who didn't, and has troubles.

8. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Thats the Kernel Panic. Apple says that its imposible for it to happen, but they guy standing in line behind me at the release of 10.2 said that he was able to get 3 Kernel Panics in an hour. I'm not sure what he was doing, but It had to do with the installation of 10.2 about a month ago. Suddenly the screen started to get covered with gibberish. A Kernel Panic is a close to the Blue Screen Of Death as a mac can get. A Kernel is the base of UNIX. I have installed 10.2 on my 800 Mhz 15 in. iMac and on my new iBook that I got at the release (I didn't win it.) It has worked fine, Exept that I can't get my iBook to access our cable or talk to the other computers. I think that the problem is I never restarted it after setting up the Network Prefs.

Does anyone know how much it would be to become an apple certified technition.

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

hee hee hee "fsck -y" sounds funny :rolleyes: :p :D

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Jag and OS 9

Before I put Jag on, I'll probably wait for my 40GB HD, (ANOTHER MONTH, I CAN'T WAIT!) I'll put OS 9.2 on just for fun :rolleyes: then I'll put Jag on, or should I put jag on then OS 9????? anyway I want to have OS 9 on my hard drive just incase I need to use 9 for some strange reason... :)

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

For all you people out there that never read mac magazines or the web here is what you are doing when you use, "fsck -y".

You need to start up in single user mode to do this hold down the command/apple key and the s key at start up you get a black screen with a bunch of DOS like gibberish. When it's done doing what it needs to do you will get a prompt at it you will type, "fsck -y", this command stands for, "file system check," and the -y means yes to all prompts. When it's done if it had to fix anything run it again and do this until doesn't have to fix anything. Once it runs without having to fix anything type reboot and OS X will start normally.

12. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: Why does my computer have to be a freak?

hrm.. it could juss be a custom icon that got there for some whack reason..

have you tried "get info" and then clicking on the icon, then pressing the delete key..?

if it works, it may be an invisible icon until you restart your computer or re-logging on..

hope this works... was this only a temporary problem..?

-f