why does my HD folder keep moving?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by phreakout13, May 14, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    I like my Hard Drive folder in the upper-right corner of my desktop, and it never stays there. Every time I log back into my account, it's somewhere else like below some other folders. It makes me mad, can anyone help? Thanks:)
  2. Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Have you got any other icons near the top right corner? Try moving them away, and see what happens.

AFAIK, the system remembers the exact positions of any folders and files on your desktop, but not disks, cds etc. When you log in, it puts the folders and files in the exact position that they were, and then places disks in the most top-right position it can find. So then, if you have folder/icons near the top-right corner, it will place your hard drive icon somewhere else.
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    happens to me too... never really cared that much though until you brung it up, i normally just moved it back
  4. macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    To the best of my knowledge there is no option to 'remember' or stick icons to an affixed grid. Is that correct?

This happens all the time on my iBook and it drives me nuts. Rarely does it remember the placement of my icons (3) and I have to re-arrange them everytime.

Rather annoying.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    On the occasional machines this happens on, I turn on "Keep arranged by Kind" in the Desktop custom view options. It takes some getting used to, but it at least guarantees that your disks/partitions will always show up in the top right.
  6. emw
    macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I've never had a problem with my boot drive moving, but when I used to have the FileVault turned on, I noticed that I would start getting duplicate "ghost" copies of folders on my desktop. That is, I would see two copies of a file or folder, but if I trashed one, they both went away. If I moved one, they generally both moved randomly. Eventually I just turned off FileVault and it all went away. Weird.
  7. macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    You can align to a grid:
    Click on the Desktop
    Go to View... Show View Options ( or hit Command-J)
    Check "Snap to Grid"

Lee Tom
  8. macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    The other thing you can do (at least I think you can, it worked under OS 9) was to record a script while you position your icons where you want them. Save the script and run it at login (or double-click it) and it should reposition them automatically.

9. macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    Will see if this helps any, thanks. =)

Will give it a go if the alignment doesn't work.
  10. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    A HD isn't a permanent folder it's dynamically added every time you log back in, which probably will means at the end of the line where new stuff would drop onto the desktop.

If you don't want the HD to move, don't let it appear on the desktop (Finder Preferences) and use an alias to stick the HD where you want it.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kinda weird.. I just started experiencing this myself.

...goes off to open another "OMG DONT GET 10.3.5!!!" thread.