Why does my iphone 5 turn off at 15% when taking pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

happened twice to me tonight. taking pictures im pretty sure with the flash it just shut off. gave the battery symbol. plugged it in and it started up at 14%. tried it a few minutes after using the phone normally and it did it again and shut off.
    Anybody else have this problem?

2. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. macrumors 6502

Sounds like the battery percentage not reporting the correct percentage.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

i tested it with this iAssistant and it shows to be the same. if it was actually dead it would take a while to charge.

literally i plugged it in and the apple logo came on and it turned on

5. macrumors 6502

That's weird. Maybe, you should schedule an appointment at the apple store?

6. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Yeah this happened to my on my 4S and my launch day iphone 5, and the replacement I received (other problem).

I never figured out why it does it, it's got to be some glitch.

7. macrumors member

ASUgrad1999

My wife's 4s just started doing the same thing in the last week or two. She has had a couple Genius Bar appointments (they reset her phone). The said if its still happening, she'll get a new phone.

8. macrumors 601

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

can somebody test this? ive tested it today at 10% with flash. took 3 pictures and hit the home button and bam. happened again. im wondering if its a normal thing with these phones and i never noticed it.

10. macrumors member

it might just be drawing a lot of current and the battery controller might not "feel" as if it has enough juice and shuts down...you could test with a multimeter I will try and do this soon and report back....

11. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Does the phone just black out instantly or is there a spinning pinwheel shown?

12. macrumors 6502a

My friends iPhone 4s does that too! I found it very strange. After it shuts off (seeing the pinwheel) it gives the "need to plug in icon" after pushing on the power button. A couple tries later, it turns back on, showing 15% battery remaining and the phone works just fine.

13. macrumors newbie

Same problem with iphone 4S 64 GB

When taking pictures around 20% battery in my iphone 4S 64GB it shutdowns and you have to rebooting (home+switch on/off) to start again or connect it to the charger to back on again.

It always show low battery but is not correct. It backs on with 19%-20% battery remain.

When rebooting if you don't take pictures or make videos te phone is working till battery runs out at 1%, so the normal behaviour.

I'm using the last IOS 6.0.1

After 2 months with that problem I restored the iphone today, and the problem still continues.

Apple can you hear me?

14. macrumors 6502

BigMcGuire

Sounds like the phone protecting itself from users imo. You want to try and keep Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries above 20% if you can help it as draining them completely damages them. A lot of devices automatically shut off below 10% to protect the battery from completely draining (a big nono with Li-Ion/Poly).