Why does my iPod have a sad face picture on it?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mznan5, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mznan5 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I bought my ipod photo last year when I had a windows pc laptop and it was formatted for windows. Then late last year I got an ibook g4 and started using my ipod on the mac. I was able to use my ipod on the mac even though it was windows formatted. But these past three weeks, the ipod has been freezing a lot. And now its showing the ipod sad face and telling me to go to the apple website. I went on the ipod site and they said to restore it...the thing is I'm following all their instructions but when it comes to the update/restore screen on ipod updater application it doesn't read the ipod even though its plugged in to the computer. My questions:

1) Is the ipod updater not recognizing the ipod because the ipod is windows formatted?

2) If so, do i have to update the the ipod on the windows computer it was formatted on?

3) Is this happening because I'm using a windows-formatted ipod on a mac and/or the ipod software hasn't been updated since last year?

4) Is it better for me to format the ipod for Mac. If so, how do I do this?

Please help! I'm new to Mac and i'm desperate to get my ipod working again!

Thanks a lot!

M.Z.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

unhappy face means dead ipod, the HD has probably failed, if you lived in the uk i'd offer to buy the thing from you as i have a spare HD from my 3rd gen which the headphone socket has broken.

3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Usually the sad face indicates a hardware error or a dead HD. there or other icons for improper formatting/software error.

4. mznan5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this mean the damage can not be repaired? Even if I restore it?

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

you could always try resetting the iPod. if it does not help, then i would suggest a proper burial for the iPod.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

reset it and see if you can format it in disk utility.

if it truely is hosed (the HD) sell it on ebay, your likely to get like 60-80 bucks if your lucky.

7. hqz macrumors newbie

It might be fix-able!

I myself got the sad face on a 2nd gen ipod after dropping it. I thought it was hopeless, but did a Google search and found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY---Fix-Broken-iPod!/

All you gotta do is open up the ipod with a screwdriver and place a business card on the foam. I did this, and viola, my ipod was alive again. I couldn't believe it, but it's been running without a problem for over a year since then.

So, if you were thinking burial, give this a try first! :cool: