Why does my iPod Nano kill all my headphones?!?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Adrianus, Jan 3, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I´ve had the iPod Nano 2nd Gen for about two years now. The standard iPod headphones lasted me a year, but they eventually died of natural causes. I then bought Nike headphones and after a month the left earphone died. I thought nothing of it and went to the store and got my money back. Then i bought some DJ style headphones, and sure enough, my iPod killed them. I noticed the pattern of the left earphone always dying after a month so i tried again with some cheap airplane headphones to make sure and once again, the left earphone died. Ever since then i´ve been using the free airline headphones because i don´t want to sentence to death expensive headphones...

Why does this happen?
    Is it because they weren´t official iPod Nano Headphones?
    Or is my iPod defect?

I just got a new iPhone (1st Gen...). Will this happen here too.

Thanks in advance.:D

2. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

take it to an apple store and ask them if its just a strange coincidence. All the iPods ever made take anything with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. Your iPhone won't kill the earbuds unless you listen to your music really loud.

3. macrumors 6502

Have you ever tried cleaning the headphone jack on the Nano? Might be that one of the contacts inside is corroded.

4. thread starter macrumors member

No but now you say it i think am going to. Is there some special way to do it?

5. macrumors 6502

Get a can of compressed air, and try to blow any dirt out of the jack. If this does not work, you could try a small amount of contact cleaner or a drop of denatured alcohol on a small cotton-swab with most of the cotton removed, and gently clean the jack.

6. macrumors 6502

Hi Adrianus
    Any luck in sorting out your problem?

7. thread starter macrumors member

Hi gjw4u
    I've been traveling the last few days so have had no chance to work on it yet. There's two tests i need to do:
    Try iPod headphones with my iPod nano and try normal headphones with my iPhone. That way i know if it's a defect or if it happens with all iPods.

I think i will clean the headphone jack on the iPod though.

Thanks for concern! Have you had a similar problem?

8. macrumors 6502

Hi Adrianus

Years ago I had the problem of earphone not working on my Walkman. The compressed air did not work, but the Q-Tips solved the problem.