Why does my modem hate me?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ryman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. ryman macrumors newbie

I'm a recent convert to OS X. It's great, except for one thing (so far). When my modem dials my server, it hangs up immediately after connecting. I've tried adjusting my connect settings, called my server support, etc... no luck. The only thing that works is just fiddling with the PPP settings (like turning the "disconnect after X minutes" off or on, doesn't seem to matter which) and retrying til I get a connection. So to be honest, I don't know if what I'm doing is working or if I am just able to connect at random.
    Any suggestions?

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm afraid it's not just the modem, pal - I've heard the other peripherals talking behind your back as well.

:D

3. Gee macrumors 65816

What type of mac/modem/service provider/etc do you have?

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Perhaps your login information is incorrect. Either the login or password. Also, have you ever considered broadband?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i haven't used a modem in... well, a long time... but i seem to remember a way of displaying the modem's activity in a terminal-like window? Anyone know if you can still do this with OS X? great way to see where the problem was (if it was a handshake problem, or an authentication problem, etc).

paul

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Would the "Console" log tell why it hangs up? It's under Applications/Utilities

7. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

8. ryman thread starter macrumors newbie

i use dial-up... powermac g4, 56 modem... PPP server.
    broadband/dsl/whatever is not an option right now (i have access to all that at skool and work so it's kinda low priority for home at this point... that and i'm broke!)

i'll look into the log to see what's going on.