Why does my Powerbook zap me?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I have a TiBook 15" 1Ghz.

The bottom half of the casing (the darker grey) seems to convey a constant electrical charge.

if I touch it with any tender skin (eg upper legs - which brush it often when wearing shorts and sitting with my leg up as i do at my desk) it gives a contanst stinging zap. (This doesn't happen when it's grounded by my hands resting on the top (next to the touchpad))

Does everyone/anyone else's TiBook (and AlBooks?) do this?

Is this normal? or a problem?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I can't say this has ever happened to me, or anybody else that I've hard of. I would give Apple a call, and don't admit that you dropped it in the bathtub.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I can't say I've ever had that problem with it zapping my lap.

4. xjohn macrumors regular

I get a little shock when I touch my powerbook in the winter. Uncomfortable. I've always assumed it's just static electricity.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It is static electricity. That's why you feel it during the winter when you likely have the heat turned on.

6. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah - but it's summer here! And it's always done it. I will give Apple a call though. Maybe they'll replace it with an AlBook!!!! :D (lmao)

7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

There were some people with the zapping problem with the early PB G4s. It was a leaking battery power issue as I recall. Calling Apple sounds like the way to go... unless you enjoy zapping you hands :D

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    iv only been zapped a couple times, but my dorm room has carpeting, and it winter. i guess it could be static, but if it always happens maybe give them a call, but i doubt they will replace it with al book

9. SubGothius macrumors member

Does it happen only on battery power, or only when plugged in, or both?

I seem to recall reading something (perhaps even in these here forums) a while ago, about the possibility of improper grounding on the AC adapter plug or socket; since the plug wasn't grounding properly, the current was grounding to the nearest conductive object -- the metal case (and/or the user's leg).

If you only get shocked when it's plugged in, getcher AC adapter's plug and the 'Book's power socket checked out. If you only get zapped when it's on battery power (and p'raps when it's plugged in w/ the battery charging), get the battery and battery bay contacts checked out.

10. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks SubGothius!!! :D

You're right. It does only happen in one situation - that being when plugged in to AC adapter.

thanks. Will call Apple tomorrow. :D

11. claytonbench macrumors member

I had the same problem everyone here told me it was just static electricity but it turned out to be the electricity in the house i was at. Try somewhere else.