Why does OSX do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattDell, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

[​IMG]

When I click on the "External HD" icon on my desktop, Finder opens up like this with the left side being absurdly wide. Now if I just open up Finder and click on External HD there, it displays fine. What's the deal?

-Matt

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Mine dosen't do that.

Try this:
    Fix it by clicking/dragging the bar over.
    Close.
    Re-open

Anything?

3. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

No, it still does it.

The first time it ever did it the other items on the desktop appeared under where "Pictures" was and one of them had a long filename. I'm not sure if that's related or not. Buut, this is pretty annoying. I'm starting to think I have a problem with my install of OSX, because I also have this little artifact in System Preferences:

[​IMG]

-Matt

4. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Hello,

Ive seen this before in here, but I cant remember the solution, im sure that someone will be able to find you the thread that will sort this out for you.

Dont re install your os just yet.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Send a PM to WildCowboy, he's got the solution to this problem on a post-it somewhere close by. Or, search the forums using that as a criteria.

6. MacVault macrumors 65816

I've seen a handful of inconsistent behaviors such as this in Mac OS X. Leopard better fix this kind of crap. This kind of stuff should never have made it past Jaguar. The finder/UI bugs are like finding typos in beautiful book. Please, Apple, give us a new, unified, polished, smooth UI in Leopard! It's WAY past due!

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I had this thing where when I opened Finder it would open in the lower left of the screen, half off, I had moved it there once. Every time I open to moved it back to the middle. I did that for a couple days, it opens in the middle of the screen now. Maybe this is kind of the same thing.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I didn't get any PMs, but fortunately I spend enough time here that I stumble across things like this. :D

Close System Preferences, then look for a file called "com.apple.preferencepanes.cache"...it's in <your user directory>/Library/Caches. Drag it to your Desktop and then try opening System Preferences again. If all looks well, you can go ahead and trash the file you dragged to your Desktop.

It's a very common bug on the Intel Macs...it's been around for quite a while now, but Apple doesn't seem to have addressed it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm pretty sure the solution is just to trash com.apple.preferencepanes.cache which is in the ~/library/caches folder....

This issue of cache and plist files becoming corrupt is one I hope Apple addresses at some point.

With respect to your original problem, my suspicion is that the file holding the default finder view for that drive is jacked... I think the solution is to delete the .ds_store file in the root of the drive, and then un-/re-mount it, but I'm not sure.

10. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Yep, that solved that! I'm glad I brought it up. :cool:

Now if only we could solve the first problem.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would agree with mkrishnan's suggestion of getting rid of the external drive's .DS_Store file to see if that helps. Did you try that yet?

12. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Looks like I skimmed over that suggestion, whoops!

How exactly can I delete the .DS_Store file within OSX? It's hidden in finder.

-Matt

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Use something like TinkerTool or OnyX to enable viewing of hidden files. You should then be able to navigate directly to it on the external.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

or, from iTerm/Terminal type:

rm /Volumes/External\ HD/.DS_Store