why does parallels make my Macbook so hot?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by benmadrid, Jan 29, 2007.

1. benmadrid macrumors member

Hi,
    Doing anything in parralels, even just launching xp, seems to send the temps of my cpu soring and the fan goes straight up to full blast. Is this OK? Is there anything that can be done about this? I tried increasing the memory given over to parallels (768 mb out of 2 gb), but no difference. Anyone else notice this?

2. bit density macrumors 6502

Launching an Operating system is one of the most processor intensive activities. You don't expect there to be a lot of idle time do you.

It will start to be cooler, when XP settles down and starts giving idle time. Unless you have a bunch of stuff that runs during idle time on your XP (like screen savers and SETI searchs and stuff). I think there is also some indexing stuff it likes to do during idle time in a fresh install.

Namely, if the processor is working in XP, expect the processor to be working on your mac, and heating things up.

3. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

4. jetalcott macrumors newbie

Hot, hot, hot

I have the same problems. My processor usually runs at bout 55-65 degrees. With Parallels open, it frequently goes to 80-85. And, at these temperatures it runs very slowly.

The fan brings the temp down to the high 70s, but but speed does not increase until you get back into the 60s.

Any thoughts?

5. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I think running to OSs simultaneously by Parallels is pretty hard and resource intensive process that calls for energy. Thinking of 2 things simultaneously will hot you as well. :) I have found some info about this problem on Parallels official forum. Hope that would help you.

6. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Now I use parallels, but I'm glad of speed when both OS work in the same time. Maybe, if you need ONLY windows for a long time, you may run it through Bootcamp, ah?

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

heat

Use SMC Fan Control. Also will help extend the life of your battery by reducing heat.

8. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Hm, could you explain more detailed what does SMC Fan Control mean? How does it work? :confused:

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

It is a free program that allows you to set the minimum fan speed for your laptop. I have been using it for almost two years now in my MBP to keep it cooler then it would run otherwise. Download it here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

After you install it will put a preference pane in the system preferences when you open it you can set the low threshold / upper threshold and base speed.

You can obviously set it to your own setting but I set mine up:

Lower Threshold 46 C
    Upper Threshold 78 C

Now here is the trick. If your just surfing the net on battery and want as much juice as you can you can set the base speed to the computers default of 1000 rpm's or like 1200 rpm's. If you doing intensive work and want to keep the LT cool just open the pane and set the base speed to 2500 or 3000 rpms and you will notice the computer staying a lot lot cooler. Of course having a higher base speed decreases the time a charge will last running off battery but will prolong the life of your battery because it reduces heat. #1 killer of your battery is heat.

Fan Control is a fantastic little program that should be built into the OS and in my opinion is a must. I also attribute this program to why my battery still holds excellent charges after two years and 185 cycles. Another trick is if have bootcamp setup you can boot into OS X set your base speed to 2500 or so reboot into windows and it will maintain that base speed in windows to keep windows cool while playing games or heavy duty processing. Otherwise there is no program that allows you to adjust fan speeds in Windows running on a Intel Mac. Or at least to my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

10. jetalcott macrumors newbie

Cool Answer

The advice on smcFancontrol did the trick! I've been flipping back and forth between Mac and Windows all morning and the temperature has not risen above 60. So, windows is running fast and smooth and my Mac OS is as cool as ever.

Thank you all!

:D