Why does Safari always reload when I go back/forward?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by boomboom2, Aug 1, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2012
    I almost switched from Chrome to Safari but one big thing is keeping me from it. For some reason whenever I go back or forward in the browser Safari feels like it needs to reload the entire page. It's really annoying having to wait before I can start scrolling and using the page!
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2009
    That's why I came back to Chrome again :(
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2004
    This is the only thing I really dislike with Safari. I switch to Firefox or Chrome when it really bugs me, but usually go back to Safari after I forget how irritated it made me.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2012
    It they ever fix that I'll switch to Safari. At least until they polish Chrome's performance which is highly likely.
  5. macrumors member

Sep 23, 2011
    to be honest they have to work more on safari
  6. macrumors 6502

Apr 4, 2010
    Thats because you've got it set to have that stupid sliding animation where the pages slide on and off. If you change the trackpad setting of "swipe between pages" to 3 fingers, it no longer does that. Going backwards and forwards is lightening fast and you know longer see that tedious animation.

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2011
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I must say that this is pain in the ass for me. I hate it. But I am still using Safari. Might give Chrome a try.
  8. macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    A word of warning though. With two fingers, a swipe to the right brings you back and to the left brings you forward. But with three fingers, it's the opposite.
  9. macrumors 6502

Apr 4, 2010
    That's true but I prefer it that way, I upgraded from Snow Leopard and that is how its always been. You swipe left to go back and right to go forward.. as it should be. That is before all this "natural scrolling" nonsense came into existence.
  10. thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Eh, I tried this and it still reloads every page. Oh well.
  11. macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    Actually, it doesn't reload the page. You have to press cmd+r in order for the page to be refreshed... It's just the blue thingy in the address bar that flashes, but it does nothing.
  12. macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2010
    Seems like they would rather not refresh the page since it in theory would load faster.

This def needs to be a toggle.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2010
    It doesn't reload the page from the internet. It reloads the page from memory.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2007
    I understand the frustration. When you are quickly browsing around, especially on forums, you expect to go back then be able to scroll down immediately. As it is, you must wait a second for the page to "load".
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2008
    It doesn't always do this, though. Some pages seem to be programmed to allow to come back "unscathed". It may be an HTML programming issue.å
  16. macrumors member

Jun 17, 2012
    Near You
    safari runs smoother on mountain lion i like it a lot, i think i will stop using chrome for a while,
  17. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2012
    AGREED!!! Safari refresh/reload/rewhatever is STUPID swiping back...

Apples own website is the WORST offender of this "feature". But so many websites react to the browser with this STUPID refresh effect. We want to go back to where we WERE, not back to the top of the page we are coming back to.

No other browser does this. There should not need to be a workaround, sliding more or less fingers than the default setting, etc...

:apple: Apple PLEASE MAKE SAFARI NORMAL!!! Forget more features, just make it work the basics correctly and to a standard. PLEASE!!! :apple:

18. macrumors 68040

May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Really? I never notice anything refresh by going back/forward…. :apple:
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 4, 2010
    Read my post, that fixed the problem.
  20. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    In addition to venting here, please submit a bug report to Apple. I will be doing the same.
  21. macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2011