Why does Safari hate news?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reykjavik, Dec 11, 2006.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I cannot view video on any of the major news websites, including BBC, CNN and a few others. Why is this? Does anyone know of a news web site that is mac compatible? I have the latest version of WMP and video through those web sites has worked in the past. But recently I suppose they decided to cut me and all other mac users off. Anyone know why?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I can view video on CNN and FNC just fine.

CNN clearly works.jpg

Be sure to download Flip4Mac for CNN. Fox uses Flash Video. I don't know about BBC, but it's probably one or the other.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

WMP is dead...you need Flip4Mac. It works for most things, but it's not perfect, as Microsoft hasn't released some of their protected codecs.

4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

so all the news networks expect me to pay Flip4Mac 30 bucks so I can view their videos? I guess Apple decided not to go with the "it just works" theory on this one?

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Flip4Mac is free. link

6. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes you are right. If you pay 30 dollars for my serial number then for me, it is free. Correct.

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm#1

It states: Trial download limitations:
    In trial mode you can export 1/2 the duration of your source file up to 30 seconds

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Sorry, I changed my link to one that is not quite as confusing (although it will let you download for free from flip4mac.com too).

Microsoft is providing flip4mac for free microsoft link

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It can PLAY movies just fine, for free. Do you not read or what?

That's talking about exporting, AKA ENCODING to WMV from other formats. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

No, you only need the wmv components for Quicktime. They're in the download section and they're free.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Wow...

It's not Apple's duty to develop Windows Media Player for Mac. That's Microsoft's player, not Apple's. If that were the case, Apple would have to maintain Flash and Real as well. But it doesn't matter, because you can download Flip4Mac for free which is recognized by Microsoft as being the official way to view Windows Media content on a Mac.

No, they're both providing it for free. The original poster is just reading it wrong. Most likely doesn't understand what "encoding" means. If he hovers his mouse over the word and hold's down Command+Ctrl+D he'll get a nice definition.

11. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had flip4mac this entire time. clearly its made no difference. This is what I see whenever I try to watch a video from BBC and CNN:

Attached Files:

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Those screen shots indicate that Safari is not using Flip4Mac. You do not have Flip4Mac properly insalled. And you also need to delete Windows Media player.

When Flip4Mac is installed correctly, it will use the QuickTime controls, not the Windows Media controls. You will also have a panel in System Preferences for configuring Flip4Mac options, including forcing Safari to use it. If you do not see this, you do not have Flip4Mac installed.

Picture 2.png

EDIT: BBC doesn't work for me. Fox News and CNN both work fine, however. I never watch BBC so that doesn't matter to me personally.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There should be a Flip4Mac WMV Player pane in your System Preferences. The "Use Flip4Mac WMV Internet plug-in" option should be checked.

14. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys always have an excuse. Ever hear of Quicktime? Since almost every computer has quicktime anyways, why not get these websites to use quicktime instead of ****** WMP (or at least let us choose)? And besides, no matter how many excuses you come up with, it didn't just work. Apple says everything just works and then when it doesn't they reply with "well, only things which are entirely 100% within our jurisdiction." So essentially if you go to apple.com and use iPhoto and do nothing else whatsoever, then Apple will just work. But if you go to CNN.com whoah!!! thats not apples problem!!

15. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

It is. And always has been.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I would love it if sites only used quicktime or flash. I hate WMP on the mac and on the pc. Also, we are all trying to help you here and in return you are being pretty rude :confused:

17. OwlBoy macrumors newbie

Yes Flip4Mac is free now.

But they also have a version to buy too with a few more features.

And just like a good business man, they put the Pay version and make it not so obvious there is a free one.

-Owl

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Believe me, I would love nothing more than that.

Sure it does... everything Apple makes just works.

Well... they aren't. Why don't you complain to Microsoft instead of Apple? That would be more productive.

Well it clearly works as I posted in a screen shot above. So it's not Apple's problem, it's just your problem. You shouldn't have installed Windows Media Player on your Mac in addition to Flip4Mac, as Microsoft clearly says on their web site not to:

[​IMG]

MSNBC also works by the way:

Picture 3.jpg

Agreed.

Attached Files:

19. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

That's like saying it's Honda's fault when roads are in need of repair... "Honda should just make better suspension systems"... wtf

If you're so pissed off, go and write your own player... or don't, because you have no idea what you're talking about anyway.

20. dirtleg macrumors member

I have found this thread to be not only informative, but quite entertaining as well.

Thanks!:D

21. codo macrumors 6502

22. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

A while ago I read something about the BBC and Realplayer. They have made some deal to distribute media via Realplayer. So im afraid you have to install it. It will allow some content to be viewed with flip2mac but most of it is via RealPlayer.

Ive had no problems since installed it with the BBC website, I dont know about any others.

Lee

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did not find it informative but I did find it entertaining. My thanks also. :)

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You do realise it is the sites themselves that choose which codecs to use. Apple has absolutely no say in what other sites choose to use. If they want to go ahead and use non-standard media codecs (and despite it's prevalence, WMV is NOT a standard media codec - it is a proprietary format licensed to Microsoft) then Apple has no way of preventing them.

Microsoft provided the Flip4Mac team with the free decoders to make a Mac-compatible plug-in for viewing of most, but not all, WMV formats. It's free and it works well, Apple has no say over how 3rd party programs implement their software but in this case it has been done seamlessly - if it's not working for you then it's a problem with your system, not the program. You either haven't followed the instructions to the letter or have missed some important part.

Your complaints are unfounded, almost akin to someone complaining to my local ski shop about not being able to use their products in the local area, whinging about how they should make it snow at the beach, in the middle of summer so that you can use your newly purchased skis.

Flip4Mac does "just work."