Why does Safari keep quiting on me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hudsonhawke, Sep 26, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm having problems with Safari "unexpectedly quitting". I don't call them unexpected quits anymore because I've come to expect them. I like Safari alot so I want to work this out but they're making it hard for me.

Trends I've notices before quits:

Page gets stuck loading. Status bar will read something like "9 of 10 items complete" and it will stay that way.

Often the problem occurs only on the home page of a site while within the site, if I've entered by going around the home, its fine.

I have this problem sometimes at:
    espn.com
    nytimes.com

I have this problem always at:
    nypost.com (home page)
    observer.com

Is there anything I need to reset? Or that I should be looking for? Or is it just one of those things I have to live with until the next update?
    Any advice is hugely welcomed. Thanks.

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I can give you the quick answer of "Repair Permissions".

It your utlities folder of your Application folder there should be a disk utility. Repair the permissions to that drive and see if that helps... otherwise... dunno... maybe delete/reinstall Safari?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Panda.
    I tried the permissions but that didn't work. I'm goint to try reinstalling safari. We'll see.

4. macrumors 6502

have you installed 10.2.8? since i did (mistake of course) i have had safari unexpectedly quit MANY times. not sure, but seeing as it never did it b4, im going with it is yet another thing Apple broke with 10.2.8 :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have installed 10.2.8 but it was happening before.

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Try deleting the safari preferences, located in your user folder under Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. now I've made an even bigger mess. I trashed everything from Safari that they would let me and downloaded a new copy. Now the only sites that will load are apple.com sites. Everything else displays the page title on the top of the window but the window stays blank and the status bar says "0 of 1 items loaded"

Now what?

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, Rower, when I went to my library to look for that file it wasn't there.

Thanks for the help everybody.

9. macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

If you have access to a copy of DiskWarrior I'd give that a try :)

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I just start fresh with Safari? Do I have to go back to my disk? Or is there something I can dump?

I just want another chance!

11. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, here's how to fix the not loading pages issue:

Remove all copies of the "Times RO" font. It might be in /Users/username/Library/Fonts/ or /Library/Fonts/

Delete any copies you find and you'll be all set. :)

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

13. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Hey Rower, what is that all about. Times RO? What is the problem? How do you know so much? :p

14. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I came across it in Apple's discussion forums when trying to find why the HP drivers for a printer I'm testing broke Safari. The HP tech support people pointed it out to me.

So if you've recently installed an app or some drivers and Safari won't finish loading some pages, check for that pesky Times RO. :)

15. macrumors 6502a

Hudson,

I know you've fixed this but I had a similar problem (pressing cursor keys, or command keys would crash Safari) and eventually fixed it by simply "Resetting Safari..." from the Safari menu.

16. macrumors newbie

Safari quitting

Rower:
    I am quite impressed. Dumping TIMES RO font did the trick...and it was so easy! I love SAFARI but was getting increasingly frustrated that I had to relaunch it dozens of times a day. Fortunately my MacBook is lightning fast and it was more of a nuisance. But now I don't need to do this.

Thanks so much.

17. macrumors newbie

Now my internet is quitting on me

I have had macs for around 6 years now, so im fairly familiar with the technology. but it seems that whenever i try and change pages on facebook, my internet closes.
    a little box pops up and says its sending this to the apple store or somrething along those lines. i just want to see if anyone has any good ideas before i have to take my mac to the apple store?
    hoping someone will reply because this thread has been around for ages

18. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Do you mean Safari crashes?

That little box sounds like a Crash Report. If you could copy and post that report (especially the Binary Images section) you might get some help.