Why does Sim City 4 run like crap...

Discussion in 'Games' started by jmsait19, Dec 23, 2004.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Can anyone give me a hint on this? I have a 1ghz 15" PB, about a year old, and this game just runs terribly. Its basically unplayable. Whenever you scroll from side to side and stuff the screen fans out like the computer can handle it. Then im looking at one slice of screen repeated eight times across the screen. I'm not sure if its the video card, in which case this computer was underequipped in the first place, or if its the RAM in which i need to up it a little. I have 512meg PC2700. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe you guys can help me. Because for now i have a $50 game that i can't play.

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

According to the insidemacgames review, it's very CPU intensive... that is probably why.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=518&Page=3

Not sure what else I can say besides make sure the game is patched if available...

3. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

There is a patch for SimCity 4 and it makes a tremendous improvement to game play. A search should turn it up pretty quickly, I'd provide the link I used, but that was almost two years ago. Don't have it anymore.

I had the same visual problems as you, but they all cleared up on a 1ghz Powerbook with the Mobility 9000.

4. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks...

i just got the update and patch from the Aspyr website. Holy cow it took me a long time to poke around and find this stuff. the EA website doesn't even recognize the mac version and the simcity.com site is almost worthless in terms of support. so for anyone else that needs help, the Aspyr site has it.

5. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

jmsait19 did you find it improved with the patch?
    Just bought the wife a copy of it for her work mac, a dual 867, hope it does else I've just thrown away £40. You just gotta love mac ports. :eek:

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The patch helps very much, it fixes a lot of bugs (including ag zones that turned white, and buildings that are glowing purple and green)... but it's not a cure for the poor performance. On a brand new 17" iMac G5, it's damn near unplayable (on the larger cities anyway). After I get the RAM upgraded to 1gb, I *hope* it will be better, but I doubt it.

Of course, you can go into Visual preferences and disable a lot of the effects (like fog and waves) which can help a lot. Turn all of the options to the lowest setting and see if that makes it more bearable.

paul

7. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Now that you mention it, I do recall having a heck of a time finding it myself. I seem to remember finding it buried very, very deeply on the EA site somewhere.

Well I hope you realize the same performance increase that I did...

Paul, I have 1 gig of RAM and it does seem to make a difference. I don't have a lot of experience playing with really large cities, so my experience will likely vary greatly from yours.

8. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

much better

hey all. so i just played for about 45 minutes with the update and patch installed. The game did not exhibit any problems thats annoyed me. Some of the buildings popped up white but then redrew themselves after a couple seconds. The screen lag problem that i described did not occure once. You need to go to the aspyr website. find sim city 4. click the support link, and then download the update AND the patch. they are two separate downloads and both should be installed. The game runs fine and im sure i will play a lot now that it actually works.

Thanks to all who alerted me that there was a patch.

Paul, make sure you got both the update AND the patch. I got both and performance was fine.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Hmm... I only downloaded one thing, the patch i think, which upgraded me to 1.0.2. The update seems to be for 1.0.1, so I think the patch includes the update? at any rate, i can't seem to find the 1.0.1 update to even try running it. stupid aspyr site. God help me if I screwed up by running the patch and not the update first...

Can't wait for christmas money so i can get that gig... most of my speed issues happen when I'm zooming/panning a large city, or using the data view on any city. I think both will be boosted by more RAM.

I should probably point out, I'm not using Rush Hour yet, and I'm guessing you guys are, so that may be part of it.

paul

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The one setting I've noticed that kills performance more than any other is the number of cars and sims. Turn that down all the way unless you're on a fairly high-end gaming rig, or you're asking for some hurt.

11. jmsait19 thread starter macrumors 6502

Paul,

I'm still running the sim city 4 version, not rush hour. Try this link...

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/sc4/

from there, click support.

there should be an update and a patch and some other articles. the update and patch are the first two item in the list. i'm not sure about the whole version number thing or how all that works, but when i was doing the install i looked at the punch list of what was being updated, and they weren't the same. anyways, i did both and it works fine. i think i have some of my settings turned down, im not really sure. i don't see little sims running all over the place.

so i would say to give that a shot and see if that helps.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Yeah, that's where I was, but if you try the links below the 1.0.1 article, they all download the 1.0.2 patch. That's why I'm assuming that the 1.0.2 patch includes the 1.0.1 update.

I miss seeing sims walk around, but turning cars/sims down has helped a good deal. i guess i'll just wait for my RAM upgrade and be happy with that :)

thx for the help all
    paul