Why does SimCity 4 Crash so much?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnewMac, Feb 13, 2005.

1. AnewMac macrumors regular

I am running a G5 dual 2 with the radeon 64 mb, and 1.5 Gb of ram. I got this game for my wife and I to play, but everytime we play the screen gets very choppy, and most time it crashes. WTF is wrong? I am well above system requirements, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, searched the threads, etc. I even have all settings turned down. Any ideas? Plus how can I manually quit when it freezes? I tried Opt-Q, but it doesn't work, I have to hard reset. :mad:

Please Help!

p.s. getting the 256 Ati Pro Mac Edition tomorrow. :)

2. 70chip macrumors newbie

If I remeber correctly there is a Patch that will help crahing issues. Aspyr probably has it on their web site.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

What does "radeon 64 mb" mean? Is that a Radeon 9000? 8500? 7500? Anything below the 8500 will get pummeled by this game, and the 8500 itself can barely run it. Whenever you buy a game, you should be EXCEEDING the requirements, not just meeting them. That is a recipe for disaster if you only aim to meet the req's.

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

make sure you update the game. My game never crashes, it just gets a little choppy

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Download the patch from aspyr and install it - it should fix the problem.

Mine runs on a 1.25GB Powerbook without too many problems although I rarely have it at the closest zoom level.

6. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

I just assumed people knew it was the Ati 9600 xt card that shipped with the dual 2s. Sorry to assume. I'll try searching the website for a patch. Found the patch. I'll try it tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help.

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

haha. there is only 1 64mb Radeon card that you can get with a G5.

As to why it is crashing, I can't tell you. Try the update, I guess.

It doesn't ever crash on my Athlon 2500...in fact it rarely even slows down.

I have to be in a huge and full map to get the re-draw lag...and that's about my only slow-down...ever.

Didn't think a G5 would have any trouble with it. But I don't own the Mac version to find out otherwise.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I only own Sim City 4 for Mac and its barely playable on my Powerbook. However, I've been told that Rush Hour expansion pack for Mac improves performance. You may want to try to find a used copy on eBay to try it out.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's a good point. I have Rush Hour on mine and it did make a difference to the graphics quality etc on the Powerbook (I don't get white 'gaps' in the buildings any more!)

10. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thats where they get you.

Ok, I am going to put off buying another game for a while. Thanks for the help though.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If you and your wife are SimCity afficionados, you should definitely consider getting the Rush Hour expansion pack. The transportation options it adds really take the game to another level. After you install and play it, you won't *want* to buy another game for a while. :)

12. AnewMac thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a key combination I can use to get back to my desktop, when the game freezes? All I know how to do is a hard restart, I tried cmd-Q, is there another one?

13. benpatient macrumors 68000

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Even after the update, SC 4 absolutely sucks nuts on my machine.

15. fortgreen1 macrumors newbie

how do I excape back to Finder after crash?
    I tried option command escape. did not work.
    thanks. and yes, after the patch it often crashes.