Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agnoslibertine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Sweden
Okay, so to start, I plan to buy the 13 inch, after playing a bit with the newly bought 11inch I bought for my girlfriend.

I tried the trial version of Final Cut pro (i like to video edit), and I had this short 40 sec video (720p, 50fps) and added two video effects, and when I exported it, the MBA started its fan for the first time ever. And the bottom of the computer became so hot.

Now I am just curious, is this normal? (forgive my ignorance)
I just got scared, that I was about to fry my girlfriends new mac computer(her first mac).

Sorry this thread is to long...

HCx

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
the Macbook Air 11 doesn't get any hotter than the 13" model or even the MBP's. it's just more likely to hit those temps since it's in a much more compact frame and you are more likely to force the CPU to 100% load and generate alot of heat when starting with such a (relatively) slow CPU in comparison to other models.

Agnoslibertine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Sweden
the Macbook Air 11 doesn't get any hotter than the 13" model or even the MBP's. it's just more likely to hit those temps since it's in a much more compact frame and you are more likely to force the CPU to 100% load and generate alot of heat when starting with such a (relatively) slow CPU in comparison to other models.

But is that heat "dangerous" in any way?''
again forgive my ignorance, I am so used to mid towers with intense venting keeping the processor pretty cool.
I am just not used to notebooks in general. Especially when you get that fan going.

HCx

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
But is that heat "dangerous" in any way?''
again forgive my ignorance, I am so used to mid towers with intense venting keeping the processor pretty cool.
I am just not used to notebooks in general. Especially when you get that fan going.

it's hardly ideal since excess heat can diminish the lifespan of Lithium batteries. the only other thing to worry about is taking some lifespan off the CPU from running it hot.

but either way, it's running within Intel's operating specifications. so i'm sure it is fine from a technical standpoint for much longer than you'll actually own the product.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The short answer is that the chips are rated to 105 degrees, so running them at 90 degrees shouldn't be a problem.

Agnoslibertine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Sweden
thanx y'all. :)

just a quick one, and obvious one.
if it becomes to warm, then the mac will shut it self down right?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Aluminium conducts heat naturally more than plastic. If your reference for saying this is a plastic laptop, it's not really fair. While it can seem hotter to the touch than a plastic laptop, the point is that the whole case acts like a heatsink so that you don't need as much fans spinning. However what matters is the temperature of internal components, which isn't necessarily related to the case temperature.

If your reference is another aluminium Mac, then I don't think it's true that the 11" MBA gets hotter. While it may seem hotter since it's physically smaller and heat has to transfer through less metal, the temperature of internal components doesn't go any higher. In fact, I register lower temperatures with iStats menu with my i7 11" than my previous 2008 Aluminium MacBook (C2D 2.4) and 2009 MBP (C2D 2.53).

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
if it is hot enough to cook an egg,you should be worried. if it's warm enough to melt frozen ice, then no cause for alarm.

flyimac

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Have both Air and MBP

I have the 2009 13" MBP and it does get hot, I need something between it and my lap always. My 2011 11" Mac Air is the opposite, it can sit on my lap til the batteries run dry without almost any heat.

My Air has the i7 processor and maybe it's not working as hard as other processors.http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon10.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.