Why does the macbook feel less dense than the iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by princealfie, Jan 31, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Does anyone here know why when I lift the macbook that it feels less dense than the iBook 12"?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The macbook is denser (It's both heavier and smaller). It's .0422lbs / cubic inch vrs .0358 lbs / cubic inch for the larger, lighter iBook.

Why it feels less dense is your own perception, and I can't answer that for you.

3. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Probably because the surface area of the device is larger (ie the actual laptop is bigger) giving the perception that it is less dense.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

True, by surface area (ignoring "thickness"), the Macbook is .0456 lbs per square inch vrs. .0483 for the iBook.

Mind you, because it's so much thinner than the iBook, the MacBook is smaller than the iBook (123.12 cubic inches vrs 136.99), so it's not "bigger."

5. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Strangely enough, when I pick up the macbook it feels better than the ibook. And it's just instinct I suppose...

6. cblackburn macrumors regular

Note: I am assuming that you are lifting each laptop by one hand.

The Macbook is wider and thinner than the iBook G4. This means that the centre of gravity of the macbook will be further away from your hand than on the iBook G4. Since turning moment is directly proportional to distance and force applied the overall turning moment will be significantly larger.

This will mean that the plastics will give more under the increased stress and hence imply the feeling that the MacBook is less dense, or so I theorise :).

Note: It is bad to lift any laptop with one hand, it causes warping that can damage the internal components and loosen connections.

Chris

7. arcobb macrumors regular