Why does the Mighty Mouse Suck so bad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Nov 5, 2006.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I just bought a brand new 24" iMac, FULLY LOADED

I love the computer!!! LOVE IT!

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO WINDOWS!!!!

Just one thing...the wireless mighty mouse is HORRIBLE

HORRIBLE! It tracks terrible, it misses clicks....

You would think Apple, the inventive company that they are, would somehow figure to make a mouse that works

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I only have the wired one, but I like it. I think it has the best scroll-wheel there is. Fits my hand nice too. Try fiddling with your adjustments to see if that is the issue. I have also seen optical mice not perform well on certain types of surfaces. Try a different one and see if that helps.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

4. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

i've tried everything. I am buying a new one tomorrow....

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Missing clicks is common. This is Apple's design obstinacy where looks count more than function. The tracking problem is however as pointed out probably due to the surface you're using the mouse on, and is likely common with other laser mice.

I like the scroll ball and I've got used to the Wireless MM now. Whether it sucks is open to argument and it could definitely be better and it's outperformed (except for the x-y-scrolling capability) by many other cheaper wireless mice. However I am planning to spring for a few Revolutions.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I gottta admit, I have a , ( gasp) , MS mouse hooked up to my iMac. The MM was fine until the scroll wheel started to hang up. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, then I tossed it. It didn't "Just Work".

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've been using mice, pretty much since there were mice, and the MM is one of, or the most comfortable mouse I've used. The scroll ball is smooth, fast and scrolls vert and horiz. The wireless version's laser tracker is noticeably more accurate - I'm using it on a couch's armrest cover material, which the wired version wouldn't track on. No problem with using the right "button", unless you keep your index on the left, when using the right. That's the only possible issue I can think of, at least for me.

9. esabourin macrumors member

I currently have a wired mighty mouse,,i fell in love with it in the apple store,,so i bought one,,even if i didn't have a mac,i used it with my pc,

what sucks is that my office desk is made of white shiny wood stuff,,and the mighty mouses's laser doesn't work, so i'm forced to use a mousepad thing ugh :(

also in the scroll whell,it gets all dusty, and u can't really clean it

other than that, it's an awesome mouse,,unfortunantly i bought mine when the wireless mighty mouse wasn't released, :( lol,,it fits my hand really nice and it's really really cool looking lol

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I love the MM. I havent tried a wireless one, but the wired works great.

I don't miss clicks, and i use both the left and right click.

So I ask, why do you suck so much? j/k :D

11. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I had the mx revolution and I prefer my wired mighty mouse. :D

12. phuong macrumors 6502a

i said this a few times before

i hated the MM when i first got it. and i use a MX Rev instead.
    now, i use them both. i use MX Rev for general purpose, for it has so many useful customizable buttons and it go across multiple screens very fast. and i use MM for when i do graphic designing stuffs. it feels slow, sluggish, but turns out it is so very accurate especially in Photoshop.

i love them both

13. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

the mighty mouse hurts my wrist. i think it's just too big for my hand. however, i dont remember having too many clicking problems.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Starting a thread like that, I can only classify you as a flame baiter aka a troll.

People, don't feed the trolls.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I like mine. Very accurate (and I do a lot of precise stuff in Illustrator) and no missed clicks I'm aware of. Mind you, I have it set up to behave like a one-button mouse, with just the scrolling enabled for the ball. Can't be arsed with any of that other stuff. I'd be forever triggering things by mistake.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

When it works I think it's fantastic.

I'd like to know if I can take it apart and clean it. Typical Apple though, they make a product that is great when it works but they do f*** all for the times when you need to maintain it. :rolleyes:

17. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

So far, my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse has worked GREAT. (had it almost 3 months) After using it, using a different mouse is really weird. Other ones just don't have that "feel" that the Mighty Mouse does.

The only complaint I've had with mine is that when I first got it, the tracking was too slow for me, so I downloaded Mouse Zoom, which adds a new Mouse preference pane that allows you to adjust tracking to faster than the normal Mouse preference pane. If anyone thinks the tracking on their mouse is too slow, I definitely recommend this app.

18. steelfist macrumors 6502a

the only reason why i don't have a mighty mouse is because of the lift-left-finger to right click problem. otherwise, it's a fine mouse, and the bluetooth is a fine addition to the mouse familly.

19. theadz01 macrumors newbie

I opened up mine to clean the wheel when it stopped working. Worked a treat, little fiddly but worked

Instructions here

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've really liked it when I've used it. The only reason I don't have one is that my MS BT mouse has more buttons, and I don't want to go back in that regard (I actually want more buttons because I use them for dashboard/expose all the time).

21. jakeDude macrumors newbie

I ditched my MM also.. It sucks.. At Micro Center, in the back of the store are a bunch of Microsoft wireless mice for $30. Its the Wireless Optical 4000 model. Full price, they are $35. Highly recommended because they are 1000 dpi and small and use a small USB stick about the size of the shufle. The scroll wheel scrolls like butter and it also does left and right scrolling too by shifting the track ball left and right.

Also, the drivers are universal binaries and has a nice preference pane to set-it up. Its a much better mouse for half the price. You cant play games witht he MM also, i have tried. The buttons are not independent enough for that.

22. Neptunian macrumors member

I bought mine a month ago. Amazing.... I'm sure I won't go and buy a different mouse. It's true that it costs more than a normal mouse, but it worth every single cent I paid for it with no regrets.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I have, and always will, use MS mice. They are wonderful.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I use a wired Mighty Mouse at college (iMacs in the computer lab) and it works great for me. :)

25. darkwing macrumors 65816

The mighty mouse does suck, as does most hardware from Apple. Form over functionality; that's their motto. The scroll wheel is prone to building dust up inside which blocks the optical encoders. The wheel doesn't really click... there's a speaker inside the thing to make the noise. At least that way you can tell when the wheel needs to be pressed on/rolled and blown into a few times. Also, because there's only one click mechanism if you don't lift your finger completely off the left side of the mouse when you try to right click it treats it as a left click. This is harder for me because I am left handed but left click with my middle finger instead of my pointer.

At least it's pretty.