Why does the Xbox 360 controller suck?

Discussion in 'Games' started by princealfie, Jun 16, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I tried to play Fight Night 3 on the Xbox 360 at Best Buy a few days ago. I couldn't do any signature boxing moves on the Xbox 360 controller and it was difficult to coordinate anything. I nearly injured myself and went without thumbs as it was hard to leverage the direction.

Why can't there be a better, larger controller for the Xbox 360?

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

You and me both...

I'm not really a gamer by any standards, so it's not really a big deal to me. However, I still don't see how in the world it's even possible to use the black and white buttons on the 360 and Controller S. I know my hands are pretty big, and I have long, thin fingers, but still it's oddly uncomfortable. I usually press buttons with the knuckle area of my thumb because the tip of my finger is too far away.

The original Xbox controller is still the most comfortable I've used, and ironically no one liked it at all. Aside from that, I'm most comfortable using the good old DualShock, but only because I can actually use all the buttons somewhat comfortably...

3. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I absolutely love the 360 controller. The original Xbox controller felt too big and clumsy imo...

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Strange. I found the new 360 controller to be the best Xxox controller yet.

I found the original XBox controller very clumsy. The second smaller one was a little better but I never could get use to those black and white buttons. Must be a question of taste. The only thing I don't like about the 360 controller is the price (if you want a full featured wireless rechargeable one). $70 sounds a little expensive to me, especially if you want 2-4 controllers.

Huh?

5. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Practice your hand-eye coordination I guess...

The 360 beats the pants off of most other controllers. Especially the PS2/3 dualshock "midget hands" controller. And, there are no black and white buttons on the 360 controller.

6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Ummmm, that's a hard one. Mabye because it's Microsoft:D ;)

7. jasonditz macrumors newbie

depends how big your hands are I guess. My favorite controller is still the Sega Saturn 3D controller (the analog stick that shipped with NiGHTS into Dreams). Big and comfortable. My friends always complained it gave them a cramp though.

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The only issue I ahve with the 360 controller is that the Start and Select buttons are too close for fighting games, often I end up hitting them when executing a combo. BAH!

Other than that I think it's a hell of a lot better than the original.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i love my 360 controllers and cant stand playstation ones, gamecube pads are not too bad but too small, as someone with large hands i love my 360 pad everything is in reach and i dont have to hold the pad like i'm touching a small ball with the tips of my fingers.

10. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Sorry, I meant just the Controller S, not the 360... :eek:

The original put the black and white at the top, where I could easily stretch and reach them.
    The Controller S put them at the bottom, when even the ABXY were too close for my long thumbs...]

11. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

It must be a hand size thing... I used to hate the Xbox's original controller, but I absolutely love the ones on my Xbox 360. I have small hands :eek:

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the original xbox pads were awesome, i wish i had an xbox when they were available, if only M$ could do a limited run of 360 versions of the pad.

13. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

edit: nm, it was addressed...can't delete the post though. LOL

Anyway, I find my cordless 360 controller to be the best controll I've used since the Sega 6-button arcade pad or redesigned (2nd rev) saturn controller.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have a sega arcade pad for my mega drive, it's awesome.

it was great for giveing a handy cap, as for some games it was damn hard to use like sonic 2, so my supreme skills could be tamed.

15. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

You're a n00b plain and simple ;)

The sticks, buttons and D-pad are nearly identical to the controller S, it's just the shape & other controls that have been moved about a bit. Maybe you were thrown off by the HDR lighting...

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Ok I loved the first Xbox controllers, the really big ones. I have big hands so it was perfect. After I heard that the Xbox 360 controllers were going to be the smaller version, I decided to start using those. I hated it, and was pissed. But the 360 controller is perfect. Everything is easy to reach. I still have hope they will make a big 360 controller.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

going back to the original S type feels really wierd, it's bulky in the wrong places, it's like using an MP5 after using a P90 for a while, it's the same type of afair yet it's so different.

18. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've no problem with the 360 Controllers, I think they're about the right shape and size and the buttons have a good solid feel to them. The only 'issue' I would have is that I would prefer the analogue triggers to be further away, I usually find myself curving my fingertips round to them, rather than having my fingers flat against the trigger, but thats a minor criticism.

The PS2 controllers are too small in my opinion and the Gamecube controllers were comfortable, but the buttons/triggers didn't feel right

19. sk1985 macrumors regular

I think the 360 control is the best conventional game controler out now. It's way better then the PS2's IMO. I think it feels nicer, it has a better weight to it, and the face button's tactile feel is great. The only thing I don't like is the triggers. I personally like the original Big XBOX controler's triggers better. I think the springiness made it feel like a pistol trigger. I also liked how hard it was to push down and how it sprang into place quickly (some peeps thought it wasn't too responsive, but I like it's triggers).

20. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Would people kill me if I said I use a PS2 controller when playing an xbox? I have always found the xbox controllers too big for my hands. The 360 controller is a big improvement though. But, yeah, I use a PS2 controller for xbox using a $5 adapter from Wal-Mart. The only problem I have is when trying to play Halo: the analog sticks are too close together for FPS and the tips of my thumbs hit each other when turning right and strafing left. Still, it raises a few eyebrows when people see me playing.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed....The controller is a much better improvement of the xbox controller because that thing was stupid.

Bless

22. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

The problem is still the ergonomic. I suffered some major pain playing Fight Night 3. I never had that with my Gamecube or PS2. :eek:

23. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

How old are you?

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Xbox 360 controller is the best controller out their, imo.

As for FN3, you just don't know how to play it. Plus, there are several different control configurations to choose from.

25. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

A perfect "traditionnal" controller for me would be having the shape and features of the 360 controller, coupled with the Gamecube's button layout for A-B-X-Y, for about $50. :D