Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Maybe is the router configuration, in my place I have zero problems watching YouTube but at my girlfriend's place I am lucky if I can watch 10 seconds with no buffering, the problem only happens with my iPad, if I use her computer everything loads fine

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
The YouTube app just sucks! Can't watch a video without problems. If I watch it on my computer or on Safari it'll work fine, no laggin', no loading times...

Yup. I have had the same result. The youtube video runs fine on my laptop, but runs slow on my ipD or abruptly stops running all together. I have assumed it was the crappy app Apple is using since my iphone app does the same thing.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
All data connections are not created equal. Youtube is data. Even if you have fast WiFi in your house, you may not have a fast internet connection. You may have a fast internet connection, but be sharing it with several users/devices at the same time. I've got a reasonable connection, but if my PC is downloading updates I can kiss a quick YouTube stream goodbye. This explains why some people don't complain and some do, even though they all have essentially the same iPad.

funkdoctor

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Not sure who developed the YouTube app, but the Map is licensed from Google not developed by Apple.
Check out the Terms of Use, the copyright belongs to Google.

My ipad 2 YouTube app works fine on both WIFI and 3G.

I'm almost positive that I read a while back that Apple developed the Google Maps app. I don't believe it was advertised as such, but there was a story about this a while back. And yes, I am aware that the copyright belongs to Google.

funkdoctor

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Not sure who developed the YouTube app, but the Map is licensed from Google not developed by Apple.
Check out the Terms of Use, the copyright belongs to Google.

My ipad 2 YouTube app works fine on both WIFI and 3G.

I'm almost positive that I read a while back that Apple developed the Google Maps app. I don't believe it was advertised as such, but there was a story about this a while back. And yes, I am aware that the copyright belongs to Google. Also, Steve Jobs did use the term "Apple designed" when speaking of the maps application.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
All data connections are not created equal. Youtube is data. Even if you have fast WiFi in your house, you may not have a fast internet connection. You may have a fast internet connection, but be sharing it with several users/devices at the same time. I've got a reasonable connection, but if my PC is downloading updates I can kiss a quick YouTube stream goodbye. This explains why some people don't complain and some do, even though they all have essentially the same iPad.

There are only two people in my household. I have these issues when no other devices are being used. Out laptops are typically in sleep mode anyway...acting like paperweights.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
There are only two people in my household. I have these issues when no other devices are being used. Out laptops are typically in sleep mode anyway...acting like paperweights.

Same here. Plus I can access YouTube fine on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, my AppleTV, my MacBook and my iMac all without issue so it would certainly suggest that the iPad app is at fault.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I have never had a problem with it, I just wish the app would remove videos from your New Videos list when you have watched them like it does on the website.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Never had any issues with the YouTube app.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Ya bro, it's gonna be slower because you're not using flash. That doesn't mean that flash is better, it absolutely hates batteries. There shouldn't be that much of a difference though, maybe it's your internet? Mine was like that before I changed some airport settings

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
My internet connection is 20mbs. I can stream Netflix on my iPad without any lag, but a You Tube video that is 30 seconds long needs to pause twice for loading...and that's IF it loads. By the way, I'm only referring to watching video via my WIFI at home, not talking about 3G.

Already have a wireless N that I bought a few months ago. Did you see my wireless speed I posted?

Ya bro, it's gonna be slower because you're not using flash. That doesn't mean that flash is better, it absolutely hates batteries. There shouldn't be that much of a difference though, maybe it's your internet? Mine was like that before I changed some airport settings

See my two posts above.

What settings did you change? Did you have problems with YouTube or internet speed in general?

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
I haven't noticed any problems with YouTube on my iPhone are iPad :confused: I actually prefer watching YouTube on my iPad then laptop so I don't have to deal with adds :D

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
See my two posts above.

What settings did you change? Did you have problems with YouTube or internet speed in general?

I didn't change any settings on my wireless router... besides setting up WPA code. Maybe it's the combination of the internet provider, modem and wireless router. If it helps... I'm using Cox Premium cable internet, Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem, and NETGEAR Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. Maybe others, that don't have the issue, can post what they have.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
IMO, I don't see why Apple insists on keeping the YouTube app among their default apps. They should just drop it and let Google handle it (either via an app of their own, or via a webapp).

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I think the built in youtube app has always had these weird issues with wifi only. Not sure why the hell they've never fixed it.

However, youtube has a great mobile app if you just go to youtube.com on the browser. Once I learned about it, and made it a button on my phone, I've never gone back to the original app.

Ironically, the built in youtube app on the iPad is awesome. Never gives me a problem. It's just the built in app on the phone for some reason.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Those speeds you posted are those the wifi speeds you are getting on your iPad via wifi or are those via your hard wired nic connection?

If it is the hard wired, what are your wifi speeds? What type of wifi are you connecting on ie 2.4 or 5? Are there more then one computer or device accessing the wifi signal?

wargasm

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I have an ipad1 and ipad2

The ipad1 doesn't ever play YouTube good. Always buffers etc

The ipad2 works fine...

Ipad1 went to my parents hopefully they don't get into YouTube...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The Heart Of The Network

In fact any network is the quality of your Wifi router. The ones supplied by ISP's have lot's of funky flashing lights, and gimmicks, but they are all (at least I've never had a good one) Rubbish!

The latest offering from VM here in the UK is called the 'Superhub" It has limited function, and a very poor internal aerial. When connected to a decent VM compatible wifi router, the change in speed and perfomance is dramatic to say the least.

The Draytek I use has 3 external aerials, a rock solid connection and the added bonus of 2 usb ports )I use one to connect my printer which is shared over the network.

I know these high quality routers are a little more expensive, but worth every penny to avoid that spinning circle and "Buffering" text message.

You also need a decent BB connection too of course, I run 50mb but 10 or 20 is adequate for most needs. I only have the highest speed for uploads.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I can't believe no one has posted the reason yet.

Yes it does suck on iPad and the reason is because it defaults to showing vids in their highest quality.

They look great but streaming 720p on YouTube is still hit or miss IMO

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Those speeds you posted are those the wifi speeds you are getting on your iPad via wifi or are those via your hard wired nic connection?

If it is the hard wired, what are your wifi speeds? What type of wifi are you connecting on ie 2.4 or 5? Are there more then one computer or device accessing the wifi signal?

Those speeds are from my iPad on 2.4. I get that speed even when other devices are on the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.