Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
So every time I have more than 3 desktops open in mission control, desktop3 and desktop2 swap places... i took a screenshot =

http://imgur.com/ZTtuR

i don't have a clue how to move them back (can't right click or drag them) but if i get rid of all my desktops and open them back up they'll appear in order. Then after a little while they will have swapped places again.

i know this is nothing major, just annoying. Does anybody else have this problem or maybe i have some buggy osx lion (10.7.2)

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I've noticed this too, but it's not annoying enough I cared to look up the reason. It seems to have to do with making an application full screen in Lion. i.e. If I make Safari full screen it moves it from space two, to a new space (between old one and two) and the old space becomes space three.

Again, since Lion I don't really care. Three finger swipe up and I see everything. I don't really care what space I run stuff now...

Mayo7

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
the latest software update will allow you to drag and swap the orders of the desktop. :)

EDIT: ok, i just saw that you have 10.7.2 as well.. the dragging and swapping desktops works on mine. you won't be able to drag the first desktop or the dashboard, but everything else you should be able to.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I think Apple initially said that they would changed based on usage.

There needs to be an option to turn that off. I would be much happier manually managing the order of my spaces. Then I wouldn't be surprised when I swipe left and find a different space than I was expecting to see, etc.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I think Apple initially said that they would changed based on usage.

There needs to be an option to turn that off. I would be much happier manually managing the order of my spaces. Then I wouldn't be surprised when I swipe left and find a different space than I was expecting to see, etc.

Yes, its annoying. When they switch places you have to take the furtherest app out of fullscreen then put it back in ...

jk90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
thanks for your replies guys! :)

yea dragging left or right works now in 10.7.2 and even the numbering stays in order

(i was actually still on 10.7.1 when i posted because I forgot to restart and install after downloading that massive update :eek:) oops.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
thanks for your replies guys! :)

yea dragging left or right works now in 10.7.2 and even the numbering stays in order

(i was actually still on 10.7.1 when i posted because I forgot to restart and install after downloading that massive update :eek:) oops.

Same here. At least restarting for updates isn't as much of a pain as it used to be, with Lion's resume :)

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

There is an option. System Prefs->Mission Control->Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use. This is present in 10.7.0 and later.

Also as mentioned earlier, 10.7.2 allows you to manually rearrange spaces by dragging them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.