Why doesn't Apple sell a 3GB kit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I just checked and Apple doesn't sell a 3GB RAM kit for the C2D MacBook Pros. If Apple sells them with up to 3GB then shouldn't they sell an upgrade kit? All they have is a 1GB (1x1GB) kit and a 2GB (2x1GB).

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The "smallest" C2D comes with 1 GB already, so you only need to add 2 GB to get to 3.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That would be the case if the 2GB kit was 1 chip, but it's 2. Being that there are only 2 slots in the MacBook Pro you wouldn't be able to use both the 2GB and 1GB at the same time.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Whoops, read it wrong. :p

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

why not? that's the only way to get 3GB. you're given 2x1GB, you remove one of those 1GB modules and install a 2GB module. does Apple sell a single 2GB module and why wouldn't buying that resolve the issue?

6. Canerican macrumors regular

It would. But the industry standard is identical modules, so they won't break that. It doesn't bother me. Either way, just swap your RAM out for a better brand and it won't cost you any more.

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

What your saying is how the MacBooks are sold with 3GB but Apple only sells a 2 chip upgrade kit (it's really 2 1GB modules that add up to 2GB when installed). Being that the MacBook Pro only has 2 slots so you wouldn't be able to have the 2 GB kit and the 1GB chip installed at the same time.

Well that's not really the point, I'm wondering why Apple wont carry a kit to upgrade to 3GB.

8. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Who the heck buys extra ram direct from Apple? It's like... What almost twice as much money, and usually an off brand? (My system came with Hyundai ram, their supposed to make cars not ram.....)

If I were to upgrade mine now I'd surely get some third party ram like Mushkin or Kingston and pay far less than what Apple charges.

Maybe I'm just crazy? :confused:

9. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Generic RAM from Generic cars, thats apple's standing!

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

im happy they dont sell ram kits because it would be ridiculously overpriced (like every computer company does with ram) and would be a waste of your $$$. Just buy from kingston or crucial or something

11. mikesilv macrumors newbie

The actual reason...

rather than the uninformed speculation rampant here, is that 2GB DIMMS are not really on the market in sufficient supply. RAM manufacturers are ramping up production, but if you look around you'll find that few sell them, and those that do are incredibly expensive.

Crucial is owned by Micron, which is one of the larger memory manufacturers, and their 'Memory Configurator' doesn't provide a 2GB single DIMM option for the Macbook Pro either.

If you search their site without specifying that you're using a Macbook Pro, you'll see that they do actually sell a 2GB DDR2 PC-5300 SO-DIMM which would work in the C2D Macbook/Macbook Pros, but it's priced at $989.00. A silly price that results from low supply.

See this page:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?family=DDRII&tabid=DDR2+PC2%2D5300