Why Doesn't iPhoto automatically organize your photo library (in finder)?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Winter Charm, Sep 14, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

iTunes has this awesome option that makes it organize your library into neat folders and name everything. It works perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with it.

iTunes does this: [iTunes Media] >> [Artist Name] >> [Album Name] >> [Songs]

However, When I open up my iPhoto library, it's a huge mess with weirdly numbered folders that I can't make sense of. Is there any way to implement a friendly library organization within iPhoto? (I'm talking about the way folders are displayed in Finder)

I want iPhoto to do [Date and Event Name] >> [Photos for this event].

Any ideas?

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

With iPhoto, you are never to work directly with the files - in fact, doing so may cause corruption of the library.

Everything is managed through the iPhoto app.

3. macrumors 6502a

dcorban

You never have to work directly with iTunes media files, either, so that isn't a very strong argument.

4. macrumors G4

r.j.s was not being argumentative. He was merely stating a fact.

5. macrumors 601

brand

Use iPhoto as it was intended and don't open the library in Finder.

6. macrumors 68040

fisherking

you must be using an older iphoto as well..later versions no longer display the folders in the finder, but simply a single icon (a package, in which those folders are contained).

2 thoughts: update to a newer iphoto. and ALWAYS work with those images from within the application.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Yes, they display a package, but you can use the >>Show package contents option to explore that package.

I just wish that changes I made in iPhoto were reflected across the folders inside this package.

8. macrumors 6502a

dcorban

9. macrumors 68030

They are reflected there. The problem is you can't understand how. Like others have mentioned the library is a package and is not meant to be accessed.