All iPads Why doesn't Safari have a unified address & search?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrMister111, Dec 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I have an iMac and its great to just have one address and google search bar at the top, instead of separate.

Why doesn't the iPad's and iPhones have this? Why have a separate box for each? isn't it supposed to be seamless across all devices?

Just an annoyance of mine, sorry...

2. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I've been wondering this for a while now. Even Chrome for iOS has this...

3. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I was so eager for iOS 6, thinking that we'd have the Unibar there, and boy, was I surprised to find that, nope, still the separate address bar and Google search bar. Can't tell you how many times I've typed a search string into the address bar in Safari on the iPad and then realized, oops.....

Maybe in iOS 7?

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats exactly the reason, I'm sick of typing in the address field. I have an iMac, so its just a natural progression to then tap on bar on top on my iPad (maybe getting an iPhone 5 soon, so will be even more annoying!)

I wonder if they've "missed" this, or didn't have time or something, as I presume they want it all to be "As one" in iOS and Mac etc world?

iOS 7 really has to up the bar btw. I have a S3 Android at mo, want an iPhone 5 as its fits better with my Apple world, but its stale...

5. macrumors 6502

biggd

I read because it would add extra buttons to the keyboard, increasing its complexity and size. Adding an extra row of characters

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

how?

7. macrumors 603

It would eliminate one entry field (a bar) and add nothing anywhere (including keyboard). Anyone who used Chrome suffers when they have to use some other browser.

8. macrumors 6502

biggd

Because apple uses a different keyboard for "typing" and then another for the "address bar"
    Added characters are ":/-_ .com"
    I'm sure apple will do a keyboard redesign

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

ah ok I see, but they could change around to whatever once you tap in the combined search/address bar. My iMac keyboard doesn't change when I'm in it ;)

10. Guest