Why doesn't the weather app icon display temp?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPa, Jun 29, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

The calendar app icon displays the date and the day..why doesnt the weather app icon display current temperature? Wouldn't that make sense? (remember that i'm talking about the ICON, not talking about going into the app itself)

2. macrumors 65816

drew0020

That a good question. I wish it did!

3. macrumors 68020

b166er

When I bought my 3G a while back I was actually really shocked about this. I thought it was always 73 and sunny in the press photos because 73 and sunny is a pleasing thought for most people. Then I bring it home and I realized it was a static icon.

I was even more shocked that we have the same static icon in iOS4 and iPhone 4. Yes the icon has been updated, but it still doesn't function as a widget like the calendar does. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

4. macrumors 603

It just shows how limited iOS is. If you want updated weather display - buy Android.

5. macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Or save yourself a crap ton of money and wait for a jailbreak :D

6. macrumors 68000

BeyondtheTech

Hasn't changed since iOS 1.0.

While they're at it, they should do away with that old Zenith TV-looking icon, too. Isn't YouTube now presented in HD where available? What HDTV looks like that TV icon? Surely, they could utilize the YouTube logo by now.

7. macrumors 6502a

Because it's not a widget, and it's not a widget because it's iOS.

8. macrumors member

You're right. I'm going to return my iPhone 4 today since it can't update temperature.

9. macrumors 6502a

Or look out the window :D

10. macrumors regular

Wait for JB and you can have the temp displayed in the status bar!

11. macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Because Apple needs an exclusive feature for iPhone 5.

12. macrumors member

yep i wish it did as well

13. macrumors regular

then how do you explain the calendar icon?

14. macrumors 6502a

He's simply pointing out how crappy Apple is at the most basic things. ie. how many years for mms, copy paste, video camera.......

Heck the clock icon should even be real time, with the second ticking. The only issue with weather is it would have to fetch the data, even you can even call that an issue. Would require what a few bytes of data :D

15. macrumors 6502a

LOL funny stuff man. I enjoy apple's products but what you said is very true. Look we brought video calling to the World lol. many other funny points that apple likes to make us believe they invented it. Yea you brought video calling on wifi, but video calling excited many years ago, nothing new.

16. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I wish it did too.

17. macrumors 68040

abijnk

The calendar icon can be updated easily because it does not require outside information. The phone knows that the date is regardless of any sort of data connection. This is not the case with fetching weather data.

18. macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Wish it did, too.

19. macrumors 6502

I'd imagine the reason is that the calendar icon only needs to change once per day, and can rely on the device's internal clock, rather than needing to read in user location preferences and fetch data multiple times per day to remain accurate.

20. macrumors 6502

Calendar = 1-31 images for 1-31 days of the month.. and only updates once a day

Weather = -XX to +XXX images for all of the different temps.. plus it would need to update itself at a given interval, which uses data and battery life, and people would complain, and then they would have to code in a turn off auto update feature, and then people would want more than one temperature showing, so they'd have to find a way to show two temperatures. Then people wouldn't know what temp it was showing, so it would need to say the location name.

..... can o worms that there feature is! Though it would be nice.

21. macrumors 6502

I like how you think :)

22. macrumors 603

As you know, the temperature is just one example. The full story here is that iPhone screen is static whereas Android widgets give it life. There are tons of useful widgets out there: stock quotes, clocks, agendas etc. And whilst iPhone 4 users are enthusiastically sharing their newly found freedom to customize the screens a little (see this thread) it's really just a gimmick compared to what Android allows you to do. I am sure Steve Jobs will eventually come around on allowing the widgets in iOS but nobody knows how long it will take.

23. macrumors regular

Mine does.......

And my clock icon displays the time.

John B.

24. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Way more reliable than people give it credit.