Why don't we have data only 'phones'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dingdongbubble, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2007
    We have services like Skype that seem cheaper to make calls from. So why haven't manufacturers made devices that have only data plans on them like tablets. Folk would make phone calls using Skype or whatever over the data network. Or is regular cellular technology still cheaper for voice calls? This way we could save at least $15-30 every month if the plans had no minutes and stuff.
  2. macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2011
    Because the mobile providers would not make as much money.
  3. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Voice calls over the Internet's quality is spotty. Internet was not originally designed for live.voice. Many variables. Then of course u have to be near hotspots, not necessarily convenient for everyone.

Cellular voice actually doesnt take much bandwidth. Is those YouTube videos, Netflix, streaming that takes up the available tower's capacity.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    Tablets with data plans already exist.
  5. macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    You answered your own question :p
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    Put a data SIM in your iphone.... win?
  7. macrumors demi-god

Apr 20, 2009
    You want a phone without phone service?
    You think that the carriers would lower the price and reduce their profits if you only use data?
    Carriers want to make more money not less. Come up with a plan that makes them more money and you have a winner.
  8. macrumors 603

Apr 6, 2007
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 12, 2012
    New York City
    Skype app isn't so good yet. Tons of crashing and not being to get a hold of the other person but I love it and I use it every night. I love how good the phone quality is. I talk with my gf every night on Skype. We hate the quality of phone calls. We never talk on the phone via our numbers. Always Skype. I just wish the app was fixed.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2009
    By the time the LTE networks are built out and the software side of the problem is sorted out to make VoIP a reasonable replacement for a regular cell number, the providers will move to Voice over LTE (VoLTE). They are already transitioning the offered plans for this future "all IP" scenario with the new plans including unlimited talk and text anyway.
  11. macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2003
  12. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Because it wouldn't be a phone, there are plenty of data only communications devices already, including the iPod Touch.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2009
    Or better yet put an iPad SIM in an iPhone.
  14. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2009
    Why wouldn't it be a phone? Voice over LTE already exists. But carriers are waiting to support it. At some point traditional "voice" plans will no longer exist as the technology is being phased out.
  15. macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2005
    New York
    Get an iPod Touch and a MiFi and you are all set.