Why don't we have Siri voicemail yet?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bonskovsky, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Why is it that Siri can't take voicemail messages? Seems kind of like a no brainer don't you think?

2. macrumors 6502

Better question: Why do we still have voicemail?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Why wouldn't we?

4. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

We wish to receive those messages directly into our brains. Skip the middle man. ;)

5. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Siri is still Beta.

6. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure I understand what Siri functionality would bring to VM...

7. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I imagine, "Siri, play my voicemail."

8. macrumors 68000

Its been beta for almost two years now. That is a lame excuse. Beta is Apples code word for "we cannot get it to work right".

9. macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what a beta is.

10. macrumors 68000

Sorry I disagree. You do not show case a software as the key selling point of your device or os as beta and then continue to show case it as the greatest thing out there and hide behind the beta excuse when it fails to work or meet consumer expectations.

Beta is fine for teething and fine tuning, even public betas, but two years? Ha ha beta is just an excuse by Apple for not getting it right. They have a history of calling things beta.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

I keep saying this but people don't seem to believe it:

SIRI WILL NEVER GET OUT OF BETA BECAUSE IT IS A CONSTANTLY UPDATING SERVICE.

12. macrumors 68020

Agent-P

Because we have visual voicemail. Why bother calling your voicemail anymore?

13. macrumors G4

Small White Car

What things?

I thought the weird thing about Siri Beta was that calling things Beta was unusual for Apple. Do I have that backwards? If I do, what are all the things they called Beta? I can't think of them.

14. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Voicemails should just be transcribed to text and transferred to the messages app

15. macrumors 65816

I'd like that. I don't get voicemails often, but I do hate listening to them. If I don't answer, just call me back at another time or text me.

16. macrumors 6502a

BHP41

While that would be nice I don't think voice recognition is that advanced yet. At least not advanced to be trusted. I have customers that call me and leave voicemails, sometimes I have a hard time understanding them. Haha. Much less a piece of software trying to convert them to text.

17. macrumors member

I'm guessing Google Maps is a beta, too?

Edit: Just realized this is a bonskovsky thread... dough!

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

technically yes as is playstation home

19. macrumors 6502a

Google Voice transcribes voicemails to text...annnd the results are usually pretty entertaining. While it's usually not too hard to figure out the errors, it's by no means efficient.

20. macrumors 68020

You still haven't said what siri would bring to vm..... without giving a solution to your supposed problem this just seems like another whine/cry thread.

21. takeshi74, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

macrumors 601

Nope. VM isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier (or other VM provider) feature.

You can disagree all you want but it's not unique to Apple. Take a look at Google. If you disagree with companies that do this then don't use their products.

That's because it's flawed reasoning. There are plenty of "constantly updating services" that aren't in perpetual beta.

It's efficient for me. I rarely have to listen to my GV VM's. It's not necessarily accurate but that depends a lot on the caller.

22. macrumors 6502

I think you're getting confused between Apple and Google here...

Siri was the only thing in recent history to be a public beta by Apple, and a damn good one at that. Until then, Apple had a no-beta rule.

Lets have a look at other companies shall we? You stated above in not so many words that 2 years is an unacceptable time for a beta, yes? You also stated that "beta is an excuse by Apple for not getting it right". So, how about Google Mail - the lowly webmail provider which started as an invitiation only beta in 2004, public beta in 2007 and finally came out of beta in 2009. I make that FIVE YEARS. But Google Search, that was another one that wasn't released to the public until it was finished. Wasn't it? Set up in 1997, as a beta, Google Search came out of beta in 1999. They were the only two high profile public betas though weren't they? Wrong! Google Apps - set up in 2006, came out of beta in 2009....

Need I go on?

Stop trolling.

23. Oui
    macrumors 6502

How long was Gmail was in beta? Lets see 2004-2009

Whoopsie didn't see dontpannics response. I'm still in beta as well.

24. macrumors 68020

Not if you're on an unofficial carrier, like ST. I just have regular voicemail.

25. macrumors 6502

So, you think Apple is going to add features for unofficial carriers? :rolleyes: