Why Don't You Own a Mac?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AtlantaGuy, Sep 30, 2004.

1. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

Jan 13, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    AHA! This proves my theory! The "WTF would you get a Mac, they're only 3% of the computer market?" argument IS complete bullspit. Because a good deal of the 97% or non-Mac computers wind up in offices, cubicles, check-out lanes, ATMs, etc. However, when actually comes to computers that go into peoples homes and get used regularly, Macs have at least 10-15% market share, at least in the US. Internationally, it might be different, because I know that some countries are almost solely Windows.

Edit: Now that I read the poll, I do find it disturbing about the whole 'cult of Mac' thing. With the iPod being so big now, I didn't really realize that we've still got that going on. We'll have to remember to be more like soap and cleanse the world of this disease instead of bleach that takes it by force.
  3. Stewie macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    Game availability is certainly something that Macs are lacking. I don't understand the "My office is a PC shop" excuse. I am the only Mac user out of several thousand PC users in my office and only have a few minor issues. Of course if we weren't using Notes, Novell and sametime life would be easier, but I have worked around all those issues. My few problems are no remedy client for the Mac (and no Remedy web doesn't work). Also I have several web interfaces that NO OS X browser will load. But Netscape 4.X in classic works most of the time. And no PCAnywhere mac client. So I use my Mac 99% of the time. Woo Hoo!
  4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    A very interesting quiz. The top problem is one that Mac owners complain about.

Why don't you own a Mac?

Software/game availability. 26.67%

I do own a Mac. 19.04%

The "cult of Mac" annoys me. 17.57%

My office is a PC shop. 15.69%

Price. 10.67%

Used to; didn't like it. 4.08%

Maybe next time. 3.97%

Performance. 2.3%

Total Votes: 956
  6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    That fuc***g group "The "cult of Mac" annoys me. 17.57%" annoys me :cool:

Until now I haven't met the first windows fan, just "apple haters" wannabes...

Beginning from some work friends, he thinks that you can't play a mp3 on MAC OS X... ohhh again, I remember that and would like him to eat his wintel box... :mad: ... next topic!
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The cost of switching is expensive, mainly because of software. There are very few software companies able to/willing to consider a platform switch.

When I bought an IBM laptop computer in 1991, I had to buy a lot of software simply because I had none for that platform. When it died in 1993 and I bought a Macintosh, I had to buy an equal amount of software.

Even though an eMac or used Macintosh, in general, is pretty inexpensive, you still have to throw away what you have and start buying new.
  8. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Obviously mac-zealots are swelling the ranks of that poll. No way 20 percent of people own a mac.
  9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    Yes, I agree; however, I just voted and don't care.
  10. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    So did I. It makes a good impression. Some PC users might say to themselves: "And I always thought, the Mac only had 2% market share!" :D
  11. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  12. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    HAHA!!! I got on there!!!!!

Gainesville, FL: How do you weigh in the proclaimed "Total Cost of Ownership" argument used by Mac-users? If I can buy a new Dell for $600, how is a $1500 new Mac a better buy?

Ed Baig: That's a legitimate question. Macs have certainly commanded a premium over the years, prehaps not always deserved. In this case, however, the iMac seems priced about right. Remember that Apple is bundling a lot of top-shelf software with this unit, such as GarageBand, iMovie and so on. There's also a very fancy operating system in there. I like OS X a great deal.

OK, so not THAT exciting, but still!
  13. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    What you may actually be seeing is evidence that Mac owners are proud of their choice and Windows owners are not.

This appears to be an unscientific poll where those responding are not chosen at random. More Mac users are proud of their choice and thus happy to respond, which skews the result in favor of Apple.

I frankly would hate to see Apple reach a 1-in-five position because I'm afraid that would precipitate a rash of problems as a result of trying to please too many.
  14. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    132 people here have viewed this thread already. How many do you think took the time to vote? There's a big chunkk of your 20% Mac ownership. I think we Macs users tend to be a very vocally supportive group, moreso than PC users, which explains why the percentage is so high.

Are there more pro-Apple Mac users or anti-Apple PC users in the world?
  15. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I proudly voted "I own a Mac" :).

I don't understand why a sense of cummunity (or "cult" as they called it) would turn someone away; I would think that would be a selling feature :p. Anyway, when I voted, "I own a Mac" was second only to the "Games" reason.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Don't forget that Market Share and Mac Ownership (Install Base) are two very different things.
  17. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    The "used to, didn't like it" group caused me some curiousity.

I'm sure there are a handful of those who have "switched back" to Windows from Mac platforms.

I'd be interested to know their reasoning - anyone have a story to tell about that?
  18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The recurring thing I've seen is that some people are so stuck in the past that they would rather use Windows than Mac OS X since Apple and Steve Jobs have "deceived them" and become evil.
  19. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    from what i've heard from people who've said this to me, they use to have macs back in os 7, os 8 days, and they hated the problems with getting things to work- especially being embarassed in front of the rest of the class when your disk that had a paper or presentation or whatnot didnt work.

i find that the girls who had this happen to them are blown away by the GUI "eye candy" OSX offers, and the guys are usually non-plussed, and sometimes downright vicious in their rabid support of their gaming platform.
  20. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I voted for 'do own a Mac,' which is currently at 23.68 % :D
  21. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    mine's sort of a "none of the above." i wanted an ibook but my dad basically told me i was smokin crack because they "weren't compatible." this is the guy who just tonight asked me whether word perfect 11 would convert his "dos format files" into "windows files" and when i told him windows and dos were operating systems and that there's thousands of various file formats he sort of looked blank and *actually walked into a pole*
    so i guess it's more of a cross between price and "pc shop"
  22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No, this doesn't prove your theory. Funny how when a poll comes up as "Mac only represents 3.7% of the market", some people are skeptical, but when a single poll shows that Macs has a significant marketshare, it must be true.

Agreed. This poll proves that MacRumour members love their Macs. :p
  23. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    I think I will take this chance to state my opinan of the USA Today. I think it is one of the WORSE daily news prints out there. Honstly I think it is a crap. I take any of there poles with a grain of salt and in all honstly I think very low of anything printed in that paper. For factual infmation that has very little opinan of behind it eh I look at it and read it. (Sadly it is about the only paper around here that I can find that has some type of national news but I would much rather read some other paper.)

If I see a pole in the USA today I pay very little attention to it and give it little in a complete view. Heck on all poles the first thing I question is the sorce and then how did they collect there infomation. Btw the cult one does have a point. Look at how many of the mac cult spamed that pole.
  24. hansen macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    This is ridiculous. Only 1600 people have voted. For this to make any indication of a trend this must be 1600 randomly selected people. Obviously it's not. Voting in these things is more like making a political statement. I never vote in polls that I don't care about. We might as well put the vote on here as todays poll (which need changing anyway) and get marvelous results close to a 100% market share (not exactly 100% as I'm voting "maybe next time")
  25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    A few observations:

The 3.12% "Used to; didn't like it" is certainly heartening. I'd love to see the percentage of dissatisfied people who "used to" own a PC. It's gotta be at least 10x that high.

Y'know, this an area that Apple hasn't nearly exploited enough. With the kind of effort they put into the iTMS, could you imagine if they put the same kind of effort into designing games specifically for the Mac? They'd probably come up with such great stuff that people would start buying Macs just for the games. Which brings me to...

Price...another excuse you hear quite often for not owning a Mac. I have to believe if the Mac became the gaming platform, price wouldn't matter nearly as much. People would find a way to afford a Mac. After all, you can buy cheaper mp3 players than the iPod, but the iPod's still a runaway success.