Why dosen't Apple sell shirts, jackets, keychains, posters ect. in thier stores!?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by LimeiBook86, Aug 1, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Why dosen't Apple sell shirts, jackets, keychains, posters ect. in thier stores!?

I don't know why, but when my Dad asked the people at the Tice's Corner Apple Store they said something about Steve Jobs not wanting to use Apple Stores to sell stuff like that, I dunno exactly what he said, I guess I sorta tuned out. :rolleyes: But honestly who buys a computer every week!? The Apple Store has other stuff too, witch is great, but I think it would be AWSOME to have shirts and jackets and stickers and posters and magnets and pencils and pens and all kind of cool stuff! like redlightrunner.com! :);) :D

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Why dosen't Apple sell shirts, jackets, keychains, posters ect. in thier stores!?

they used to have an online store that sold all that sort of stuff.... but it went away. :(

I do think it would be a good idea. You can also tend to get Apple-branded t-shirts and stuff at MacWorld Expo's.

arn

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

4. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I think Apple should give the customer an Apple bumper sticker/t-shirt with the purchase of any computer. My mom's Cube included bumper stickers, and now both of her cars are wearing a nice, easily-recognizable Apple-eblem. If my TiBook came with a sticker, my car would be a little advertisement as well :)

Bill

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

My TiBook came with stickers...both of which reside on my truck now.:D

6. tortus macrumors member

Jobs is too "Highbrow"

The first impression that I get when I walk into an Apple store is that I have just wandered into some soulless, immaculate museum for postmodern interior design and computers that I cannot afford. It does not seem right to sell merchandise there. But, at every museum in the world, there is a gift shop that allows patrons to take a little piece of the museum home in the form of a trinket or shirt. I fear that Jobs has made Apple's image inaccessible to the average PC user that they are recruiting for the "switch" campaign. The stores are definitely not inviting and appear intimidating to those not familiar with Apple. Merchandise in my opinion would humanize the stores by adding the ability to participate in Apple without blowing your life's savings on the new Powermacs. As a friend of mine pointed out, there are not enough items near the counter under $5. Which makes me believe that Steve has no idea how to run a retail store correctly. They should be using these stores as merchandise machina with the sole goal of spreading the word of Apple one trinket, t-shirt, and/or computer at a time.

Granted, Apple makes computers and software, but they are missing out on the opportunity to make hundreds of millions through the formation of a merchandising campaign. We all know that we want our official, titanium shirt with the white Apple icon on the front. Does Apple? Get in touch with your fans Steve.

lovingly,

Apple fanboy

7. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

i'd love to see all that merchandise, especially key chains and stickers, at the apple stores. i live close to four (4) of them, it would be perfect for me...but, apple will be apple, and i'll just have to keep going to redlight runner i guess

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

No Apple stores near me (that I know of). How do they compare to Gateway stores?

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Apple branded merchandise

Long, long ago, before the Apple Catalog, they had a catalog with all kinds of Apple merchandise. I don't know if this is what Arn was referring to. They had mugs, beach towels, Moped ($$$), toy 18 wheel truck, pens, pads of paper, clocks, shirts etc.

I think I still have a catalog, but it would be at my parents house under piles of inCider magazines. I'll see if I can find it one day and scan in some pictures.

10. Yujenisis macrumors 6502

The reason I was told by several employees was that selling merchandise in the stores was an idea that was thrown around. But it was decided against because it would complicate and make doing inventory, shipping, a lot more costly.

It seemed to be pretty sound reasoning, but I also think it would start paying for itself as I would gladly pay for some good Official Apple Merchandise.

I often frequent Bite and RedLightRunner for Apple stuff but there stuff is awfully expensive and limited. It would be nice to see Apple selling merchandise like they do in the HQ store in Cupertino.

I think it's unlikely. They may however offer merchandise as freebies or for some kind of publicity thing. Who knows they may give out shirts for people who buy 10.2 on it's launch like they did with 8.5 back in the day at many Apple Authorized resellers.

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

May be to do not distract the attention of the costumers. THink about it, psicologically, if you want something you can get a simbol for instance. I'm sure Stve knows that and he preffer people getting the real thing not something "for the moments".

They have to concentrate in selling their computers, no to turn the Apple stores in to a souvenier shop. Then, Apple would have to create the infraestructure to keep the items on a day.

May be in the future they may do that eventually.

12. tortus macrumors member

Hell no! Don't have the patience for that crap.

13. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

If you ever go to Cupertino and visit Apple, the only place visitors are allowed is the Apple Store there, they have a large selections shirts, coats, pen, hats, and a lot more.

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My iMac, and iBook both came with the stickers.

15. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well, I live about 20 minutes from the Cupertino headquarters. I may have to stop in and get a few pens, mugs, and t-shirt. I'd like the stickers if they stuck to the inside and the label looked appropriate when viewing from the outside. Having the label on the outside of the car allows it to deteriorate and look like ****.

Thought I also think Apple should give us a T-shirt and hat with the computer. It's basically free advertising. What I really need are some Apple glow in the dark condoms.
    :eek: Oh yea, they'd have to say PowerMac on the sides.

16. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I went to the one in CA also!

But when we got there the store was closed, me and my dad's faces were pushed against the glass hoping for the lights to suddenly shine and the doors swing open! But they didn't, but we did find a little Apple hut-like place, it wasn't Apple themselfs but they were authorized. Inside they had performas, powermacs, macintosh classics, monitors, batterys, mice, tons and tons of old Apple classic computers!!! They gave us abotu 25 Apple thingys for the car! I wish I knew where I put them. That place was awsome! I wish I could go back there soon! Now that I'm older I can cherish the moments HEE HEE! I'm gonna take pictures next time! Does anyone have any pictures???:rolleyes:

17. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

My philosophy is that anything that has the Apple brand name on it is going to be expensive, just like Harley-Davidson! :rolleyes: :mad:

18. bunton macrumors member

well now

They give stickers with computers

The stores are very intimidating

They want to keep there store simple like there machines

And only want people in there to buy thousand or hundred dollar items, not $1 toys and crap

They are a computer company focusing on that and just that

Buy not making merch. they make there logo and such more rare and valuable

Would you want to wait for someone to buy a sticker or keychian when your waiting in line for your G5???

I paid in exact change for my imac and that has nothing to do with this but is funny?

19. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: well now

It would be really funny if you came in with buckets of change.

20. bunton macrumors member

True

Yeah I bought the superdrive imac and a fire wire cable and the apple care and it was like $2,3??.?? and I had exact, ostly hundreds and the guy was like oh **** and a "genuis" came over and was like haha cool. And I was like "Count the money and wheel out my ****"

Tom green did that **** a while back. See I dont got a credit card so I paid in cash. These days everyone uses debit or credit but I am 17. Anyways that is what Tom Greens segment was about and he tried to buy a $5 keychain with a hundred and they said go get change. He came back with a bag of pennies and dumped it out and they argued ad finnaly the guy said clean this **** up and take the keychain for free!!!!

I dont think that would work with a new mac thought!

21. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

yeah and they should sell candy bars and magazines too! just like at a grocery store!!!!

C'MON PEOPLE!!!!

(thick sarcasm)

22. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

hey bunton..

that's pretty funny. A friend of mine told me he went and pumped some gas in his car and went to pay with a hundred dollar bill.. they said they don't accept anything more than a twenty, so he said, "well this is all I got, so sorry!", turned around and started to leave (with the gas already in the car of course)....

the clerk stopped him and called the cops.. they came and told the gas-station clerk that it's against the law to not accept the money because it is legal tender. The clerk said he didn't have enough change and the cop told him it was his own fault (the stores fault) and my friend got free gas!

Pretty cool, I thought, so now I pay for all my gas with a hundred!!!

<hr>

basically what it comes down to is that a store HAS to (by law, i hear) accept any legal tender, be it pennies or hundreds!

23. bunton macrumors member

Hey alright sheet E

Yeah maybe they should sell guns that shoots out apples so I could kill people who use thick sarcasim and dont like to hear rumors on a freakin rumors site!

24. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

i didn't say I don't like to hear rumors.. I just think this could get out of hand!

sure, it'd be cool to pick up a pen or t-shirt, but this is an apple store for computers, not a novelty store that you visit after seeing hq in cupertino!

25. bunton macrumors member

Oh man

Sorry bout that I only read your first post and you sounded harsh but hey what is up sorry